Wave propagation in composite structures: experimental and theoretical studies
Structural waves with well-defined time functions involving relatively large wavelengths with respect to the thickness are generated at some adequately chosen part of composite structures such as filament-wound tubes or fiber-reinforced cross-ply laminates. Theoretical predictions based on asymptotic analysis of the basic three-dimensional equations of elastodynamics are compared with experimental results and allow a thorough understanding of the main physical mechanisms of structural wave propagation in composite structures.
KeywordsPhase Velocity Composite Structure Principal Direction Structural Wave Membrane Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. Graff: Wave motion in elastic solids. Ohio University Press 1975.Google Scholar
- J. D. Achenbach: Wave propagation in elastic solids. North-Holland 1973.Google Scholar
- J. Miklowitz: Elastic waves and waveguides. North-Holland 1978.Google Scholar
- Review of progress in quantitative nondestructive evaluation (D. O. Thompson, D. E. Chimenti, eds.), Vols. 8 A, 8 B. Plenum Press 1989.Google Scholar
- Elastic waves and ultrasonic nondestructive evaluation, S. K. Datta, J. D. Achenbach, Y. S. Rajapakse (eds.) (Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium of July 30—August 3, 1989). North Holland 1990.Google Scholar
- J. Dual: Experimental methods in wave propagation in solids and dynamic viscometry. Diss. ETH 8659, Zurich 1989.Google Scholar
- M. Sayir, J. Dual, B. Gasser: Structural axisymmetric waves in anisotropic cylindrical shells: Asymptotic theory and experiments (to be published).Google Scholar
- M. Veidt, M. Sayir: Experimental evaluation of global composite laminate stiffnesses by structural wave propagation. J. Composite Materials 24, 688 —706 (1990).Google Scholar
- M. Veidt: Studien zum bruchmechanischen and strukturdynamischen Verhalten von Faserverbund-platten. Diss. ETH 9424, Zürich 1991.Google Scholar
- M. Sayir, M. Veidt, A. Eisenhut: Centrally induced in-plane structural waves in cross-ply laminates: Asymptotic theory and experiments (to be published).Google Scholar