Extraneuronal inactivation of noradrenaline in tissue culture
Corticosterone-sensitive extraneuronal transport (uptake2) and metabolism of noradrenaline was investigated in the clonal human Caki-1 cell line. Caki-1 cells are the first experimental system for uptake2 which is based on a tissue culture technique. Previous experiments with Caki-1 cells opened the possibility of a close relationship between uptake2 and the renal transport system for organic cations (RTOC). The finding that steroids potently inhibit both uptake2 and RTOC further supports this hypothesis. Noradrenaline which has been taken up into Caki-1 cells by uptake2 is metabolized by the intracellular enzymes catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) and to a lesser extend by monoamineoxidase (MAO).
KeywordsOrganic Cation Dental Pulp Clonal Cell Line Noradrenaline Transport Adrenal Medullary Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Type Culture Collection (ATCC) (1988) Catalogue of cell lines and hybridomas, 6th edn. Rockville, MarylandGoogle Scholar
- Coppeneur D, Lingen B, Bonisch H (1991) Expression of the neuronal noradrenaline transporter in xenopus laevis oocytes. Naunyn-Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 343 [Suppl]: R91Google Scholar
- de la Lande IS, Marino V, Lavranos T, Kennedy JA, Parker DAS, Seamark RF (1991) Distribution of extraneuronal uptakex in reproductive tissues: studies on cells in culture (this volume)Google Scholar
- Graefe K-H, Bonisch H (1988) The transport of amines across the axonal membranes of noradrenergic and dopaminergic neurones. In: Trendelenburg U, Weiner N (eds) Catecholamines I. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York Tokyo, pp 193–245 (Handb Exp Pharmacol 90 )Google Scholar
- Iversen LL (1965) The uptake of adrenaline by the rat isolated heart. Br J Pharmacol 24: 387–394Google Scholar
- Kennedy JA, de la Lande IS (1987) Characteristics of the cocaine-sensitive accumulation and O-methylation of 3H-(—)-noradrenaline by rabbit endometrium. Naunyn- Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 336: 148–154Google Scholar
- Parker DAS, de la Lande IS, Proctor C, Marino V, Lam NX, Parker I (1987) Cocaine- sensitive O-methylation of noradrenaline in dental pulp of the rabbit: comparison with the rabbit ear artery. Naunyn-Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 335: 32–39Google Scholar
- Rennick BR (1981) Renal tubule transport of organic cations. Am J Physiol 240: F83–F89Google Scholar
- Schömig E, Babin-Ebell J, Schonfeld C-L, Russ H, Trendelenburg U (1990) Human Caki-1 cells are the first model for extraneuronal transport of noradrenaline (uptake2) which is based on a clonal cell line. J Neural Transm [Suppl] 32: 437–440Google Scholar
- Trendelenburg U (1984) Metabolizing systems. In: Fleming WW, Langer SZ, Graefe KH, Weiner N (eds) Neuronal and extraneuronal events in autonomic pharmacology. Raven Press, New York, pp 93 - 109Google Scholar
- Trendelenburg U (1988) The extraneuronal uptake and metabolism of catecholamines. In: Trendelenburg U, Weiner N (eds) Catecholamines I. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York Tokyo, pp 279–319 (Handb Exp Pharmacol 90 )Google Scholar