Cyclic AMP and adaptive supersensitivity in guinea pig atria
Supersensitivity was induced by injection of guinea pigs with reserpine, 0.1mg/kg/day for 7 days. This treatment induced chronotropic supersensitivity of isolated right atria to isoproterenol but not to forskolin. The pretreatment induced supersensitivity to the cyclic AMP-generating effects of isoproterenol or forskolin in left, but not right, atria. These results are dis-cussed in reference to the extensive literature describing supersensitivity in the guinea-pig heart, including the possible role of the adenylyl cyclase system.
KeywordsLeft Atrium Adenylyl Cyclase Adenylyl Cyclase System Grass Polygraph Reserpine Pretreatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crout JR, Muskus AJ, Trendelenburg U (1962) Effect of tyramine on isolated guinea-pig atria in relation to their noradrenaline stores. Br J Pharmacol 18: 600–611Google Scholar
- Daly JW (1984) Forskolin, adenylate cyclase, and cell physiology: an overview. Adv Cyclic Nucl Res 17: 81–89Google Scholar
- Fleming WW (1976) The variable sensitivity of excitable cells: possible mechanisms and biological significance. Rev Neurosci 2: 43–91Google Scholar
- Fleming WW (1981) Postjunctional supersensitivity: a cellular homeostatic mechanism. Trends Pharmacol Sci: 152–154Google Scholar
- Fleming WW (1984) A review of postjunctional supersensitivity in cardiac muscle. In: Fleming WW, Langer SZ, Graefe K-H, Weiner N (eds) Neuronal and extraneuronal events in autonomic pharmacology. Raven Press, New York, pp 205–219 ( Proceedings of the symposium in honor of U Trendelenburg, Paris 1983 )Google Scholar
- Fleming WW, Westfall DP (1988) Adaptive supersensitivity. In: Trendelenburg U, Weiner N (eds) Catecholamines (Handbook Exp Pharmacol 90/1: 509–559 )Google Scholar
- Fleming WW, McPhillips JJ, Westfall DP (1973) Postjunctional supersensitivity and subsensitivity of excitable tissues to drugs. Rev Physiol Biochem Exp Pharmacol. 68: 55–119Google Scholar
- Schulz JC, Fleming WW, Westfall DP, Millechia R (1984) Cellular potentials, electrogenic sodium pumping and sensitivity in guinea-pig atria. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 231: 181-–88Google Scholar
- Tenner TE, Carrier O (1978) Reserpine-induced supersensitivity to the chronotropic and inotropic effects of calcium in rabbit atria. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 205: 185–192Google Scholar