Effects of imipramine and some tryptamine derivatives on the efflux of 3H-5-hydroxytryptamine from rabbit platelets
The efflux of 3H-5-hydroxytryptamine (3H-5-HT) from rabbit platelets (monoamine oxidase inhibited; pretreatment with reserpine) was measured in the absence and presence of various concentrations of imipramine or a number of tryptamine derivatives. The maximum efflux-accelerating effect (Emax) of 5-HT and some other tryptamines (e.g., N-methyl-5-HT, 5- methoxytryptamine) far exceeded that of imipramine, whereas the Emax for 2-methyl-5-HT did not. It is concluded that tryptamines that are more effective in releasing 3H-5-HT than imipramine have the property of being substrates of the 5-HT transporter.
KeywordsBlood Platelet Tritium Content Rabbit Platelet Sympathomimetic Amine Outward Transport
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bönisch H, Trendelenburg U (1988) Mechanism of action of indirectly acting sympathomimetic amines. In: Trendelenburg U, Weiner N (eds) Catecholamines I. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York Tokyo, pp 246–277Google Scholar
- Born GVR (1970) Observations on the change in shape of blood platelets brought about by adenosine diphosphate. J Physiol (London) 209: 487–511Google Scholar
- Given MB, Longenecker GL (1985) Characteristics of serotonin uptake and release by platelets. In: Longenecker GL (ed) The platelets, physiology and pharmacology. Academic Press, Orlando San Diego New York London Toronto Montreal Sydney Tokyo, pp 463–479Google Scholar
- Paton DM (1976) Characteristics of efflux of noradrenaline from adrenergic neurons. In: Paton DM (ed) The mechanism of neuronal and extraneuronal transport of catecholamines. Raven Press, New York, pp 155–174Google Scholar
- Stahl SM (1985) Platelets as pharmacological models for the receptors and biochemistry of monoaminergic neurons. In: Longenecker GL (ed) The platelets, physiology and pharmacology. Academic Press, Orlando San Diego New York London Toronto Montreal Sydney Tokyo, pp 307–340Google Scholar
- Trendlenburg U (1978) Release induced by phenethylamines. In: Paton DM (ed) The release of catecholamines from adrenergic neurons. Pergamon Press, Oxford New York, pp 333–354Google Scholar