HIV Infection in 403 Female Prostitutes in Italy
Since the beginning of HIV epidemic, it became clear that the modality of transmission was different between Western Countries and Africa (1). Infact, in Africa heterosexual contact is the most important factor in the spread of HIV infection and female prostitutes are considered to be the major reservoir of HIVinfection (2).
KeywordsMajor Reservoir Regular Sexual Partner Italian Town Female Prostitute Seropositive Partner
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Van De Perre P, Clumeck N, Carael M, et al.Female prostitutes: a risk group for infection with Human T-Cell Lymphotropic virus Type III.Lancet 1985; 2: 524–7.Google Scholar
- 6.Wallace J, Mann J, Beatrice S.Survey of streetwalkers in New York City for anti-HIV-I antibodies.IV International Conference on AIDS, Stockholm 1988, Abstract 4046.Google Scholar
- 7.CDC.Human Immunodeficiency in the United States: a review of current Knowledge.MMWR 1987; 36: 1–48.Google Scholar
- 8.Praats C, Laga M, Van Royen P, Peeters N, Hendrickx C, Piot P. Female Prostitutes in Antwerp: a risk group for HIV infection.V International Conference on AIDS, Montreal 1989, Abstract MAP 49:86.Google Scholar
- 9.Estebanez P, Zunzunegui V, Najera R, Colombo C.Study of the prevalence of HIV infection Among Spanish Female Prostitutes In Press.Google Scholar
- 10.Tirelli U, Vaccher E, Carbone A, De Paoli P, Santini GF, Monfardini S.HTLV-III Antibody in prostitutes (Letter).Lancet 1985; 2: 1424.Google Scholar
- 11.Tirelli U, Rezza G, Giuliani M et al.Google Scholar