Neuropsychiatric Problems and Psychotropic Medication in Patients with AIDS. Data from Warsaw
If we accept that the beginning of the history of AIDS in Poland was the first observed case in USA citizen of Polish extraction, than we may state that AIDS appeared in this country in 1986, that is 5 years after observation of the first case in the world . One might think that we had received as a gift 5 years for preparing ourselves for the advent of HIV pandemia. However, were this true we should have been exceptionally reasonable and well-off population, and most of us, or at least the medical professionals should overcome all fears and aversion appearing in contact with HIV carriers and with AIDS patients. On the other hand, if the beginning of the history of AIDS in Poland is the time when blood tests have been introduced in 1985 , then the difference between our country and the West European states appears as only quantitative, that is economicorganizational. We must admit that as yet we have not evolved efficient organization of AIDS control, and have not prepared the population for the contact with this disease. An evident example of this situation is the lack of sufficient number of outpatient clinics for HIV carriers and AIDS patients (only one of such clinic is presently available), although we have 9 hospital departments for these patients.
KeywordsMiliary Tuberculosis Poor Physical Condition Intravenous Drug Abuser Neuropsychiatric Disturbance Neuropsychiatric Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bridge P.T., Mirsky A.F., Goodwin F.G. (eds) (1988) Psychological, neuropsychiatric, and substance abuse aspects of AIDS. Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 3.Flegg P. (1989) Injection drug abuse and HIV infection. Transcript 8: 7–10.Google Scholar
- 4.Hinz S., Kuck J., Peterkin J.J., Volk D.M., Zisook S. (1990) Depression in the context of human immunodeficiency virus infection, implication for treatment. J. Clin. Psychiatry, 12: 497–501.Google Scholar
- 6.Report of the consultation on the neuropsychiatrie aspects of HIV infection (1988), WHO, Geneva, 14–17 March.Google Scholar
- 7.Szata W. (1989) Rozpowszechnienie zakazed wirusem HIV w 1987 r.–sytuacja w Polsce na tie sytuacji w Swiecie. Przegl. Epid. 43: 115–123.Google Scholar
- 8.Szata W. (1990) AIDS i zakazenie HIV–1988 rok. Przegl. Epid. 44: 130–133.Google Scholar
- 9.Szata W. (1991) Communication on HIV infection and AIDS cases registration in Poland. January 31, National Institute of Hygiene, Dep. Epidemiology.Google Scholar
- 10.Wolcott D.L., Dilley I.W., Mitsuyasu R.T. (1989) Psychiatric aspects of acquired immune deficiency syndrome. In: Kaplan M.I., Sadock B.I., (eds) Comprehensive text-book of psychiatry. Williams & Wilkins, London, Sidney, 1297–1316.Google Scholar