Mitochondrial energy crisis as a mechanism for nigral cell death
Studies on mitochondrial respiratory enzymes in Parkinson’s disease are reviewed. The presence of abnormalities in Complex I of the mitochondrial respiratory chain was described in Parkinson’s disease by several groups of investigators utilizing different methods. These abnormalities do not seem to be a primary defect of Parkinson’s disease. Instead, they seem to be a consequence of long-standing noxious stimuli to substantia nigra. Dopaminergic neurons in substantia nigra appear to have a unique property with reduced tolerance to various noxious stimuli. Further studies on mitochondria seem to be important for the elucidation of Parkinson’s disease.
KeywordsElectron Transport System Mitochondrial Myopathy Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy Mitochondrial Respiratory Enzyme Nigral Cell Death
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson S, Bankier AT, Barrell BG, de Bruijin MHL, Coulson AR, Crouin J, Eperon IC, Nierlich DP, Roe BA, Sanger F, Schreier PH, Smith AJH, Young IG (1981) Sequence and organization of the human mitochondrial genome. Nature 290: 457–465Google Scholar
- Bindoff LA, Birch-Machin M, Cartlidge NEF, Parker WD Jr, Turnbull DM (1989) Mitochondrial function in Parkinson’s disease. Lancet ii: 49Google Scholar
- Chiba K, Trevor AJ, Castagnoli N Jr (1984b) Active uptake of MPP+, a metabolite of MPTP, by brain synaptosomes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 128: 1229–1232Google Scholar
- Heikkila RE, Nicklas WJ, Vyas I, Duvoisin RC (1985) Dopaminergic toxicity of rotenone and the l-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium ion after their stereotaxic administration to rats: implication for the mechanism of l-methyl-4-phenyl-l,2,3,6- tetrahydropyridine toxicity. Neurosci Lett 62: 389–394PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Linnane AW, Marzuki S, Ozawa T, Tanaka M (1989) Mitochondrial DNA mutations as an important contributor to ageing and degenerative disease. Lancet i: 642–645Google Scholar
- Lyden A, Bondesson V, Larsson BS (1983) Melanin affinity of l-methyl-4-phenyl- 1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine, an inducer of chronic Parkinsonism in humans. Acta Pharmacol Scand 13: 429–432Google Scholar
- Mizuno Y, Sone N, Saitoh T (1986) Dopaminergic neurotoxins, MPTP and MPP+, inhibit mitochondrial NADH-ubiquinone oxidoreductase activity. Proc Jap Acad (Ser B) 62: 261–263Google Scholar
- Moraes CT, DiMauro S, Zeviani M, Lombes A, Shanske S, Miranda AF, Nakase H, Bonilla E, Werneck LC, Servidei S, Nonaka I, Koga Y, Spiro AJ, Brownell KW, Schmidt B, Schotland DL, Zupanc M, De Vivo DC, Schon EA, Rowland LP (1989) Mitochondrial DNA deletions in progressive external ophthalmoplegia and Kearns- Sayre syndrome. N Engl J Med 320: 1293–1299PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schapira AHV, Cooper JM, Dexter D, Jenner P, Clark JB, Marsden CD (1989) Mitochondrial complex I deficiency in Parkinson’s disease. Lancet i: 1269Google Scholar