Effects of treatment with trihexyphenidyl on cognitive function in early Parkinson’s disease
13 patients with PD of recent onset underwent a series of neuropsychological tests for frontal lobe associated functions (Sternberg paradigm, WCST, CVLT) before and during treatment with Artane.® Test results at baseline were not significantly different from those of an age-matched control group (n = 13). Retesting after a mean of 2 weeks’ treatment with trihexyphenidyl revealed only slight impairment in CVLT while performance on the other tests remained unchanged.
KeywordsFree Recall Digit Span Digit Symbol Parkinsonian Patient Wisconsin Card Sort Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atkinson RC, Shiffrin RM (1971) The control of short-term memory. Scientific American Offprint 538: 1–11Google Scholar
- Delis DC, Kramer J, Ober BA, Kaplan E (1986) The California verbal learning test: administration and interpretation. Preliminary ManualGoogle Scholar
- Heaton RK (1980) Wisconsin card sorting test manual. Psychological Assessment Resources, IncGoogle Scholar
- Karamat E, Ilmberger J, Poewe W, Gerstenbrandt F (1990) Memory dysfunction in Parkinson patients: an analysis of cerebral learning processes (this volume)Google Scholar
- Kopelman MD (1986) The cholinergic neurotransmitter system in human memory and dementia: a review. Quart J Exp Psychol 38A: 535–573Google Scholar
- Lezak MD (1983) Memory functions. In: Lezak MD (ed) Neuropsychological assessment. Oxford University Press, New York Oxford, pp 414–467Google Scholar
- Pope DM (1987) The California verbal learning test: performance of normal adults aged 55–91 (unpublished)Google Scholar