Novel 21-aminosteroids Prevent Tumour Associated Neurological Dysfunction
The efficacy of the potent lipid peroxidation inhibitors U-74006F and U-78517F in the treatment of blood-tumour barrier permeability and tumour associated neurological dysfunction was evaluated. Rats with stereotactically implanted Walker 256 tumours were treated with methylprednisolone (MP), U-74006F, U-78517F, or vehicle. (0.05 N HC1) on days 6 through 10 following implantation. Neurologic function and vascular permeability was assessed on day 10. U-74006F and MP were equally effective at preventing neurologic dysfunction compared to control (p <0.01). U-78517F was slightly less effective than U-74006F and MP but was significantly better than vehicle in preventing neurological dysfunction. MP resulted in a significant decrease in tumour vascular permeability (p <0.006) while the lipid peroxidation inhibitors had no effect on permeability.
KeywordsVascular Permeability Cerebral Vasospasm Maximal Tumour Diameter Experimental Spinal Cord Injury Tumour Vascular Permeability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Blasberg RG, Patlak CS, Jehle JW et al (1978) An autoradiographic technique to measure the permeability of normal and abnormal brain capillaries. Neurology 28: 363Google Scholar
- 3.Braughler JM, Chase RL, Neff GL et al (1987): A new 21aminosteroid antioxidant lacking glucocorticoid activity stimulates ACTH secretion and blocks arachidonic acid release from mouse pituitary tumour (AtT-20) cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 244: 423–427Google Scholar
- 4.Braughler JM, Hall ED, Jacobsen EJ et al (1989) The 21-aminosteroid, U-74006F, for CNS trauma and ischaemia. Drugs of the Future 14: 143–152Google Scholar
- 5.Giorgio B, Nadia G, Carletto Z et al (1989) Steroid hormones influence on glioma cells proliferation in vitro. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Neurological SurgeryGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hall ED, Braughler PA, Yonkers KE et al,(1990) U-78517F, a second generation lazaroid with potent antioxidant and cerebroprotective activity in models of CNS injury and ischaemia. J Neurotraume (in press)Google Scholar
- 7.Hall ED, Pazara KE, Braughler JM (1988) 21-aminosteroid lipid peroxidation inhibitor U-74006F protects against cerebral ischaemia in gerbils. Stroke 19: 997–1002Google Scholar