The expression of human MAO-A and B genes
Northern analysis using 32P-labeled subfragments of human liver MAO-A and B cDNA clones detected 5Kb and 3Kb transcripts, respectively in fetal tissues and adult brains. The tissue distribution of these transcripts was determined. Small intestine and placenta express, in addition to the MAO-A 5Kb transcript, a 2Kb transcript determined to lack a 3′ flanking region. MAO-A appeared prior to MAO-B in the fetal brain, whereas both MAO-A and B were found in adult brain.
KeywordsMonoamine Oxidase Adult Brain Fetal Tissue Norrie Disease Liver Monoamine Oxidase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Shih JC (1979) Monoamine oxidase in aging human brain. In: Singer TP, Von Korff RW, Murphy DL (eds) Monoamine oxidase, structure, function and altered function. Academic Press, New York, pp 413–421.Google Scholar
- Shih JC, Bach AWJ, Seeburg PH, Lan NC, Bemberek M, Abell CW (1988) Molecular cloning of human liver monoamine oxidase B. In: Dahlstrom A, Belmaker H, Sandier M (eds) Progress in catecholamine research, part A. Basic aspects and peripheral mechanisms. Liss, New York, p 97.Google Scholar
- Singer TP, Von Korff RW, Murphy DL (1979) Monoamine oxidase structure, function and altered function. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Weyeler W, Salach JI (1985) Purification and properties of mitochondrial monoamine oxidase type A from human placenta. J Biol Chem 260:13199–13207.Google Scholar
- Wyatt RJ, Murphy DL (1975) Low platelet monoamine oxidase and vulnerability to schizophrenia. Probl Pharmacopyschiatry 10:38–56.Google Scholar