Effect of some peptides on dopaminergic function in man
Thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) (200 μg iv) and 1-desamino-8-D-arginine vasopressin (DDAVP) (4 μg iv) antagonized the growth hormone (GH) response to apomorphine HC1 (Apo) (0.5 mg sc) in 10 normal men. Apo had no effect on basal prolactin (PRL) levels but antagonized the PRL response to TRH. DDAVP plus Apo decreased PRL compared to placebo or DDAVP alone. These observations are compatible with (a) an inhibitory effect of TRH on hypothalamic and pituitary lactotrophe dopamine (DA) function (b) a fa-cilitory effect of DDAVP on lactotrophe DA function and an inhibitory effect on hypothalamic DA function. Whether these are direct or indirect effects on DA mechanisms is unclear.
KeywordsGrowth Hormone Growth Hormone Secretion Growth Hormone Response BioI Psychiatry Basal Prolactin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lal S, Nair NPV (1984) Neuroendocrine evaluation of catecholaminergic function in man. In: Shah NS, Donald AG (eds) Psychoneuroendocrine dysfunction in psychiatric and neurological illnesses: influences of psychopharmacological agents. Plenum, New York, ch 27, pp 485–501.Google Scholar
- Lal S, Nair NPV, Thavundayil JX, Eugenio H, Guyda H (1984) Effect of isomers of sulpiride on prolactin and apomorphine-induced growth hormone secretion in normal subjects. XVth International Congress of the International Society for Psychoneu-roendocrinology, Vienna, July 15-19, abstract, p 106.Google Scholar
- Marchesi C, Gnudi A, Chiodera P, De Risio C, Fava A, Dasso L, De Ferri A, Guerra M, Coiro V (1987) Involvement of a dopaminergic mechanism in the response of growth hormone to thyrotropin releasing hormone in patients with major depression. Phar-macopsychiatry 20: 64–66.Google Scholar
- Narumi S, Nagawa Y (1983) Modification of dopaminergic transmission by thyrotropin-releasing hormone. In: Segawa T (ed) Molecular pharmacology of neurotransmitter receptors. Raven Press, New York, pp 185–197.Google Scholar
- Shin SH (1982) Vasopressin has a direct effect on prolactin release in male rats. Neuroen-docrinology 34: 55–58.Google Scholar
- Sourkes TL, Lal S (1975) Apomorphine and its relation to dopamine in the nervous system. Adv Neurochem 1: 247–299.Google Scholar