Process and Geometry Dependence, Optimization and Statistics of Parameters
The parameters of a compact model are in general dependent on the geometry of the device and on the technological process steps. The geometry of the device is mainly characterized by the lateral dimensions of the junctions in bipolar transistors and by the channel length and width in MOS transistors. The dimensions must be known in silicon because only the real dimensions are electrically significant. They are determined by the dimensions of the mask, corrected for such effects as outdiffusion, underetching, misalignment of masks, encroachment of isolation oxides, etc.
KeywordsThreshold Voltage Sheet Resistance Bipolar Transistor Unity Parameter Geometrical Scaling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [11.2]R. W. Dutton, D. A. Divekar: Bipolar Models for Statistical IC Design. In: Process and Device Modeling for Integrated Circuit Design ( F. van de Wiele, W. L. Engl, P. G. Jespers, eds.). Noordhoff, Leyden (1977).Google Scholar
- [11.6]P. J. Rankin: Statistical Modelling for Integrated Circuits. IEEE Proc. 129, 186 (1982).Google Scholar
- [11.7]N. Herr, B. Garbs, J. J. Barnes: A Statistical Modeling Approach for Simulation of MOS VLSI Circuit Designs. lEDM Techn. Digest (1982), p. 290 (paper [11.5).Google Scholar
- [11.10]P. M. Solomon, D. D. Tang: Bipolar Circuit Scaling. IEEE Int. Solid-St. Circ. Conf. (1979), p. 86 (paper WPM 8. 4 ).Google Scholar
- [11.12]T. Smedes: Optimization and Down Scaling of Processes for ECL Circuits. Master Thesis, Technical University, Eindhoven (1986).Google Scholar
- [11.20]P. Yang, P. Chatterjee: Statistical Modelling of Small Geometry MOSFETs. Techn. Digest IEDM 286 (1982), (paper [11.4).Google Scholar
- [11.25]M. J. M. Pelgrom, A. C. J. Duinmayer: Matching Properties of MOS Transistors. Digest ESSCIRC (1988).Google Scholar
- [11.26]M. J. M. Pelgrom: Delay Lines with Surface Channel Charge-Coupled Devices. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Technology, Twente, The Netherlands (1988).Google Scholar
- [11.27]M. J. B. Bolt, A. Trip, H. J. Verhagen: Statistical Worst-Case MOS Parameter Extraction. Proceedings on Microelectronic Test Structures. Edinburgh (1989).Google Scholar