Brain mapping of EEG and evoked Potentials during physiological aging and in Parkinson’s disease, dementia and depression
Electrical brain activity measured by topographical EEG and evoked potential (EP) recording was analyzed in 33 patients (suffering from dementia of Alzheimer type (10 DAT), parkinsons disease (13 PD) and depression (10 MDD) and 20 controls. P 300 in EP and four frequency bands in EEG (delta 0–3.5 Hz, theta 4–7.5 Hz, alpha 8–11.5 Hz, beta 12–15.5 Hz) were evaluated with statistical probability mapping.
In DAT delta and theta were increased, alpha was decelerated and beta diminished. The P 300 developed its maximum in frontal regions. In PD delta activity increased, theta activity decreased, alpha and beta showed no alteration. P 300 was not altered. In 5 patients with PD a dementive syndrom was observable. These patients showed the same alterations as the DAT group. However, beta did not change. No P 300 could be recorded. In MDD only alpha activity was decelerated. P 300 was not altered.
The results indicate, that topographical EEG and EP analysis is capable to distinguish between all groups investigated. Differences in P 300 topography may reflect the pathoanatomical involvement of hippocampal circuits in dementia of Alzheimer type.
KeywordsMajor Depressive Disorder Major Depressive Disorder Alpha Activity Evoke Potential Beta Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gibbs FA, Gibbs EL (1951) Change with age, awake. In: Gibbs FA, Gibbs EL (eds) Atlas of electroencephalography, vol I: Methodology and methods. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, pp 82–88 Google Scholar
- Halgren E, Squires NK, Wilson CL, Crandell PH (1982) Brain generators of evoked potentials: The late (endogenous) components. Bull Los Ang Neurol Soc 47: 108–123Google Scholar
- Hegerl U, Klotz S, Ulrich G (1985) Späte akustisch evozierte Potentiale — Einfluß von Alter, Geschlecht und unterschiedlichen Untersuchungsbedingungen. Z EEG-EMG 16: 171Google Scholar
- Ihl R, Dierks T, Maurer K, Frölich L (1988) Lokalisation kognitiver Störun-gen bei Demenz vom Alzheimer-Typ. Psycho 14: 381–382Google Scholar
- Maurer K (1988) Evozierte Potentiale (AEP-VEP-SEP). Enke, Stuttgart,S1–66 Google Scholar
- Maurer K, Dierks T (1988) Topographie der P 300 in der Psychiatrie —I. Kognitive Felder bei Psychosen. Z EEG-EMG 18: 21–25Google Scholar
- Maurer K, Ihl R, Dierks T (1988) Topographie der P 300 in der Psychiatrie —II. Kognitive Felder bei Demenz. Z EEG-EMG 19: 26–29Google Scholar