There have been many technological advances in the organization and construction of computing systems, and developments are still progressing at a rapid pace. Hardware developments are producing systems with ever decreasing cost and size, and with increasing power and complexity. Since computers are an inherent part of many aspects of present day life it is clear that these advances and developments will give added impetus to the utilization of computer systems in many different areas.
KeywordsHardware Component Hardware System Design Fault Fault Removal Fault Prevention
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. von Neumann, “Probabilistic Logics and the Synthesis of Reliable Organisms from Unreliable Components,” pp. 43–98 in Automata Studies, (ed. C.E. Shannon and J. McCarthy ), Princeton University Press, Princeton (NJ) (1956).Google Scholar
- 3.R.W. Downing, J.S. Nowak, and L.S. Tuomenoksa, “The No. 1 ESS Maintenance Plan,” Bell System Technical Journal 43 (5), pp. 1961–2020 (September 1964).Google Scholar
- 4.W.C. Carter, “Hardware Fault Tolerance,” pp. 11–63 in Resilient Computer Systems, (ed. T. Anderson ), Collins, London (1985).Google Scholar
- 5.P.K. Lala, Fault Tolerant and Fault Testable Hardware Design, Prentice/Hall International, London (1985).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Kershaw, “Programming the VIPER Microprocessor,” pp. 147–154 in Safe and Secure Computing Systems, (ed. T. Anderson ), Blackwell Scientific, Oxford (1989).Google Scholar
- 7.I. Sommerville, Software Engineering (Third Edition), Addison-Wesley, Wokingham (1989).Google Scholar
- 8.E. Ulsamer, “Computers–Key to Tomorrow’s Air Force,” Air Force Magazine 56 (7), pp. 46–52 (July 1973).Google Scholar
- 9.P.G. Neumann, “Risks to the Public in Computers and Related Systems,” ACM Sigsoft Software Engineering Notes. Google Scholar
- 10.B.W. Boehm, “Software and its Impact: A Quantitative Assessment,” Datamation 19 (5), pp. 48–59 (May 1973).Google Scholar
- 11.G.J. Myers, Software Reliability: Principles and Practices, Wiley, New York (1976).Google Scholar
- 12.D.P. Siewiorek and R.S. Swarz, The Theory and Practice of Reliable System Design, Digital Press, Bedford (MA ) (1982).Google Scholar
- 13.B.W. Johnson, Design and Analysis of Fault-Tolerant Digital Systems, Addison-Wesley, Reading (MA ) (1989).Google Scholar