The adult patient with spine deformity and low back pain
The adult spine has a normal series of curves in the median (midsagittal) plane. The convex anterior cervical and lumbar curves are referred to as “lordosis” while the thoracic curve which is concave anteriorly is called “kyphosis”. The normal ranges for these curves have significant variability. The normal thoracic kyphosis (as measured from the end plate of T-1 to T-12) is about 35° (+/− 10°) and the normal lumbar lordosis (as measured from S-1 to L-1) is about 50° (+/− 10°). The normal spine is straight in the frontal (coronal) plane.
KeywordsBack Pain Disc Degeneration Spinal Deformity Spinal Stenosis Thoracic Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bosworth D, Fielding JW, Demarest L, Bonaquist M (1955) Spondylolisthesis — a critical review of conservative series of cases treated by arthrodesis. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 37: 767Google Scholar
- Bradford DS, Moe JH, Winter RB, Montalva FJ (1975) Scheuermann’s kyphosis. Results of surgical treatment by posterior spine arthrodesis in 22 patients. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 57: 439Google Scholar
- Bradford DS, Ahmed KB, Moe JH, Winter RB, Lonstein JE (1980) The surgical management of patients with Scheuermann’s disease. A review of 24 patients managed by combined anterior and posterior spine fusion. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 62: 705–712Google Scholar
- Kostuick J (1979) Decision-making in adult scoliosis. Spine 4: 521–525 Laurent LE (1958) Spondylolisthesis. Acta Orthop Scand [Suppl] 35: 1–45Google Scholar
- Swank S, Lonstein J, Moe J, Winter R, Bradford D (1981) Surgical treatment of adult scoliosis: a review of 222 cases. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 63: 268Google Scholar
- Wiltse L (1962) The etiology of spondylolisthesis. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 44: 539569Google Scholar
- Wiltse L (1977) Spondylolisthesis and its treatment: conservative treatment; fusion, with and without reduction. In: Ruge D, Wiltse L (eds) Spinal disorders — diagnosis and treatment. Lea and Febiger. Philadelphia, pp 193–217Google Scholar
- Winter RB, Moe JH, Wang JF (1973) Congenital kyphosis, its natural history and treatment as observed in a study of 130 patients. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 56: 27–39Google Scholar