Eosinophilic granuloma of bone: direct steroid injection
Eosinophilic granuloma of bone is a benign condition that was described as a distinct clinical and pathological entity by Lichtenstein and Jaffe  and Otani and Ehrlich  in 1940. One year later, Farber suggested a pathological gradation including eosinophilic granuloma, Hand-Schuller-Christian disease, and Letterer-Siwe disease . In 1953, Lichtenstein consolidated these three entities under the term “histiocytosis X”, thereby emphasizing the inflammatory proliferative reaction common to all three forms of the disease as well as their indefinite etiologies . Eosinophilic granuloma is generally accepted to represent the benign localized form of the disease, while Hand-Schuller-Christian and Letterer-Siwe diseases are thought to be disseminated types; however, the validity of this unifying concept is controversial and other authors stress their individual nature inspite of certain histological similarities [5, 6, 7].
KeywordsBone Cyst Eosinophilic Granuloma Percutaneous Needle Biopsy Intralesional Injection Line Membrane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Farber S (1941) The nature of “solitary or eosinophilic granuloma” of bone (abst). Am J Pathol 17: 625–626Google Scholar
- 4.Lichtenstein L (1953) Histiocytosis X. Integration of eosinophilic granuloma of bone. “Letter-Siwe disease”, and “Schuller-Christian disease” as related manifestations of a single nosologic entity. Arch Pathol 56: 84–102Google Scholar
- 5.McGavran MH, Spady HA (1960) Eosinophilic granuloma of bone. A study of twenty-eight cases. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 42: 979–992Google Scholar
- 6.Otani S (1957) A discussion on eosinophilic granuloma of bone, Letter-Siwe disease and Schuller-Christian disease. J Mt Sinai Hosp NY 24: 1079–1092Google Scholar
- 7.Siwe S (1949) The reticulo-endothelioses in children. Adv Pediatr 4: 117–143Google Scholar
- 8.Den Herder BA (1973) Changing views on eosinophilic granuloma of bone. Radiol Clin Biol 42: 218–221Google Scholar
- 11.Starling KA (1977) Histiocytosis. In: Sutow WW, Vietti TJ, Fernbach DJ (eds) Clinical pediatric oncology, 2nd edn. Mosby, St. Louis, pp 467–486Google Scholar
- 13.Scaglietti O, Marchetti PG, Barolozzi P (1979) The effects of methylprednisolone acetate in the treatment of bone cysts. Results of three years follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 61: 200–204Google Scholar
- 15.Gualtieri I, Gualtieri G, Montefusco E (1976) Ristultati ottenuti nel trattamento delle cisti ossee mediante infiltrazione con acetato di metilprednisolone. Osp Ital Chir 29: 155–160Google Scholar
- 17.Savastano AA (1979) The treatment of bone cysts with intracyst injection of steroids. Injection of steroids will largely replace surgery in the treatment of benign bone cysts. Rhode Island Med J 62: 93–95Google Scholar