Dependable computing is an issue which was already of much concern before this term got accepted and more widely used [Laprie 1985]. Especially the aspects of safety and reliability made the application of fault tolerance techniques necessary, since complete fault avoidance was impossible to achieve in general applications.
KeywordsFault Tolerance Serial Execution Reliable Computing Dependable Computing Software Diversity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Avižienis 1975]A. Avižienis, “Fault-Tolerance and Fault-Intolerance: Complementary Approaches to Reliable Computing,” in Proc. Intern. Conf. on Reliable Software, Los Angeles, CA, USA: 21–23 April 1975, pp. 458–464.Google Scholar
- [Avižienis 1977]A. Avižienis and L. Chen “On the Implementation of N-Version Programming for Software Fault-Tolerance During Program Execution” in Proc. Comp- sac77, Chicago, IL, USA: November 1977, pp. 149–155.Google Scholar
- [Avižienis 1986]A. Avižienis and J.-C. Laprie, “Dependable Computing: From Concepts to Design Diversity” IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 74, No. 5, May 1986, pp. 629–638.Google Scholar
- [Elmendorf 1972]W. R. Elmendorf, “Fault-Tolerant Programming” in Proc. 2nd Intern. Symp. on Fault-Tolerant Computing FTCS’2, Newton, MA, USA: 19–21 June 1972, pp. 79–83.Google Scholar
- [Fischler 1975]M. A. Fischler, O. Firschein, and D. L. Drew, “Distinct Software: An Approach to Reliable Computing” in Proc. Second USA-Japan Computer Conference, 1975, pp. 573–579.Google Scholar
- [Kelly 1982]J. P. J. Kelly, “Specification of Fault-Tolerant Multi-Version Software: Experimental Studies of a Design Diversity Approach” UCLA, Computer Science Department, Los Angeles, CA, USA, Tech. Rep. CSD-820927, September 1982.Google Scholar
- [Laprie 1985]J.-C. Laprie, “Dependable Computing and Fault Tolerance: Concepts and Terminology” in Proc. 15th Intern. Symp. on Fault-Tolerant Computing FTCS’15, Ann Arbor, MI, USA: 19–21 June 1985, pp. 2–11.Google Scholar
- [Lardner 1961]D. Lardner, “Babbage’s Calculating Engine; From the Edinburgh Review, July, 1834, No. CXX,” in Charles Babbage and His Calculating Engines, E. Morrison, Ed. Dover Publications, Inc. New York, 1961.Google Scholar
- [Martin 1982]D. J. Martin, “Dissimilar Software in High Integrity Applications in Flight Controls” in Proc. AG ARD Symp. on Software Avionics, CPP-330, The Hague, The Netherlands: September 1982, pp. 36.1–36.13.Google Scholar
- [Ramamoorthy 1981]C. V. Ramamoorthy, Y. R. Mok, F. B. Bastani, G. H. Chin, and K. Suzuki, “Application of a Methodology for the Development and Validation of Reliable Process Control Software” IEEE Trans, on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-7, No. 6, November 1981, pp. 537–555.Google Scholar
- [Randell 1975]B. Randell, “System Structure for Software Fault Tolerance” IEEE Trans, on Software Eng., Vol. SE-1, No. 2, June 1975, pp. 220–232.Google Scholar