Polarized Radiative Capture Experiments and the D-State of 4He and 3He
The tensor polarized capture reactions 2H(d,γ)4He and 1H(d,γ)3He are a sensitive means for measuring D-state effects in 4He and 3He. Data and recent calculations are considered. Values for the D-to-S state asymptotic ratio of −0.2 ± 0.05 for 4He and 0.032 ± 0.014 for 3He are deduced from the capture data. Results are compared to the results of other recent measurements of D-state effects in these systems. The effect of the D-state of 4He on the low energy 2H(d,γ)4He cross-section is shown to be profound.
KeywordsScatter Phase Shift Tensor Analyze Power Spin Dependent Part Vector Analyze Power Bound State Wavefunctions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.J.A. Tostevin, to be published in Phys. Rev. C (private communication).Google Scholar
- 10.F.S. Chwieroth, Y.C.Tang and D.R. Thompson, Nucl. Phys. A189, 1 (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.C.A. Barnes, K.H. Chang, T.R. Donoghue, C. Rolfs and J Kammeraad, (private communication), submitted to Phys. Rev. Letts.Google Scholar
- 15.H.R. Weller, R.M. Whitton, S. Kuhn, E. Hayward and W. Dodge, private communication.Google Scholar
- 16.K. Pitts, IUCF (private communication).Google Scholar
- 21.B. Vuaridel et al., Invited talk at the International Symposium on the Three-Body Force in the Three-Nucleon System, Washington, D.C., 1986 (and W. Grüebler, private communication).Google Scholar
- 23.Drs. L.C. Biedenham (Duke U.) and M. Danos (NBS) have suggested that the behavior of Ay as a function of energy is correlated with the behavior of the ratio of the 4He(γ,p)-to-4He(γ,n) cross sections. This ratio has been previously viewed as evidence for charge symmetry breaking (CSB). However, Biedenharn and Danos have pointed out that charge polarization of the deuterons can be the mechanism for this apparent CSB. Their model also leads to a dipole moment and therefore to the existence of El radiation in the d+d capture channel. This El radiation should disappear as the (γ,p)-to-(γ,n) ratio approaches 1 (i.e., near EX 30 MeV or Ed=12 MeV). If Ay arises from El-E2 interference, then its energy dependence is consistent with this model.Google Scholar