Transcranial Doppler for Evaluation of Cerebral Vasospasm
Spasm of the cerebral arteries is a complication associated with subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) as demonstrated by Ecker and Riemenschneider in 1951. It is most likely a multifactorial multistage process. The factors that may be involved in his pathogenesis have recently been reviewed (Kassell 1985, Wellum 1985). Probably initial vasoconstriction secondary to vasoactive substances leads to degeneration and inflammatory reactions of the vessel wall, so that in severe vasospasm (VSP) the initial functional contraction finally results in an organic vasculopathy with structural changes of the wall and narrowing of the lumen of the blood vessels (Hughes 1978).
KeywordsMiddle Cerebral Artery Intracranial Aneurysm Cerebral Vasospasm Anterior Cerebral Artery Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergvall U, Galera R (1969) Time relationship between subarachnoid haemorrhage, arterial spasm, changes in cerebral circulation and posthaemorrhagic hydrocephalus. Acta Radiol (Diagn) 9: 229–237Google Scholar
- Blaumanis OR, Grady PA, Nelson E (1979) Hemodynamic and morphologic aspects of cerebral vasospasm. In: Price TR, Nelson E (eds) Cerebrovascular diseases. Raven Press, New York, pp 283–294Google Scholar
- Ecker A, Riemenschneider PA (1951) Artériographie demonstration of spasm of the intracranial arteries. With special reference to saccular arterial aneurisms. J Neurosurg 8: 660–667Google Scholar
- Graf CJ, Nibbelink DW (1974) Cooperative study of intracranial aneurysms and subarachnoid hemorrhage. Report on a randomized treatment study. III. Intracranial surgery. Stroke 5: 559–601Google Scholar
- Hughes JT, Schianchi PM (1978) Cerebral artery spasm. A histological study at necropsy of the blood vessels in cases of subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg 48: 515–525Google Scholar
- Seiler RW, Grolimund P, Aaslid R, Huber P, Nornes H (1986) Relation of cerebral vasospasm evaluated by transcranial Doppler ultrasound to clinical grade and CT-visualized subrachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg 64 (in press)Google Scholar
- Seiler RW, Grolimund P, Zerbriigg H (1986) Evaluation of the calciumantagonist nimodipine for the prevention of vasospasm after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. (Submitted for publication)Google Scholar