Finiteness of Total Cross-Sections
We derive an optimal condition for the finiteness of total cross-sections in potential scattering at any given energy, and by copying Froissart’s trick for elementary particles, explicit bounds on amplitudes and cross-sections in the spherically symmetric case. We also study the coupling constant dependence of the cross-sections for potentials of a given sign by using analyticity properties with respect to this coupling constant. This paper contains several new unpublished results.
KeywordsPartial Wave Hard Core Incident Direction Potential Scattering Partial Wave Amplitude
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- This paper contains references to previous work.Google Scholar
- V. Enss and B. Simon, to appear in Comm. Math. Phys.Google Scholar
- V. Enss and B. Simon, preprint to appear in Classical, Semi-Classical and Quantum Mechanical Problems in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics, editors K. Gustafson and W. P. Reinhardt, Plenum (1980/81).Google Scholar
- 3.J.M. Combes and M. Guez, private communication, to be published.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Martin, Lectures at the University of Washington, Seattle (1964), unpublished.Google Scholar
- Notice that in the present lectures we give an improved version in which the total cross-section is bounded by I3/2 for large I, Instead of I2 Google Scholar