Attempts at a Geometrical Understanding of Higgs Fields
I describe a number of attempts for a geometrical understanding of Higgs fields in high (> 4)-dimensional theories.
The ad hoc introduction of Higgs fields in the construction of unified models  is widely considered as a very unappealing feature of such theories. However, as the presence of Higgs fields seems to be a necessity one might as well ask for a “good” reason for their presence.
KeywordsGauge Group Curvature Scalar Mill Theory Higgs Field Ground State Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Salam, Nobel Symp. 8, Ed. Nils Svartholm (1968) 367.Google Scholar
- 2.Th. Kaluza, Sitz. Preuss. Akad. Wiss. 966 (1921)Google Scholar
- W. Mecklenburg, Phys. Rev. D2l (1980) 2149,and references therein.Google Scholar
- 3.Y.M. Cho and P.G.O. Freund, Phys. Rev. D12, (1975) 1711Google Scholar
- 10.W. Mecklenburg, Southampton preprint SHEP 79/80–10, Phys. Rev. D (in press).Google Scholar
- 14.W. Mecklenburg, Trieste preprint IC/81/8; Phys. Rev. D (in press).Google Scholar