A New Look at Generalized, Non-Linear σ-Models and Yang-Mills Theory
First a list of recent papers on (lattice) gauge theories and non-linear o-models is presented which serves as an introduction to the subject.
Subsequently, a new, quantum mechanical Interpretation of the formalism used by Atiyah et al. and Corrigan et al. for the construction of self-dual Yang-Mills fields is attempted and criticized: Yang-Mills theory turns out to be a natural generalization of non-linear σ-models which has many conserved (Noether) currents. Confinement is linked to the presence of an “intrinsic (or parton) flavor” symmetry, at least in the case of the σ-models.
KeywordsGauge Theory Wilson Loop Lattice Gauge Theory Niels Bohr Institute Loop Observable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. D’Adda. P. Di Vecchia and M. Lüscher, Preprint, Niels Bohr Institute, 1978? and in ref. .Google Scholar
- M. Dubois-Violette, and Y. Georgelin, Preprint, Orsay 1978.Google Scholar
- E. Brézin and J.-L. Gervais (eds.), Physics Reports, to appe ar.Google Scholar
- “Constructive Quantum Field Theory”, G. Velo and A.S. Wightman (eds.), Lecture Notes in Physics 25, Springer-Verlang, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, 1973.Google Scholar
- H. Eichenherr, Ph. D. thesis, Heidelberg, 1978.Google Scholar
- N. Steenrod, “The Topology of Fibre Bundles”, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1951.Google Scholar
- N. Jacobson, “Lie Algebras”, Wiley, New York-London, 1962.Google Scholar
- Predictions that νcrit.≥ 4, for Yang-Mills, were previously made by A. Migdal and G. Parisi. Our argument extends that in: K. Symanzik, Commun. Math. Phys. 288, (1967)Google Scholar
- J. Fröhlich and T. Spencer, in “New Developments in QFT and Stat. Mech.”, M. Levy and P. Mitter (eds.), Plenum, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- K. Symanzik, in “Local Quantum Theory”, R. Jost (ed.), Academic Press, New York, 1969Google Scholar
- J. Fröhlich and T. Spencer, unpublished.Google Scholar
- R. Balian, J.M. Drouffe and C. Itzykson, Phys. Rev. D 11, 3376, (1974)Google Scholar
- R. Balian, J.M. Drouffe and C. Itzykson, Phys. Rev D 11, 2098, 2104, (1975).Google Scholar