Net Cohomology and Its Applications to Field Theory
Nets form a convenient basic mathematical language for field theory and their cohomological invariants can give qualitative information on the field theory under investigation. Emphasis is placed here on computing their low dimensional cohomologies. The results are applied to the 0- and 1-cohomologies of the field nets and observable nets of quantum field theory and the associated superselection structure. The place of soliton sectors in two space-time dimensions is pointed out but no detailed analysis of this exceptional case is presented.
KeywordsGauge Group Free Field Local Cohomology Cochain Complex Vacuum Sector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Haag: Discussion des “axiomes" et des proprietes asymp- totiques d’une theorie des champs locale avec particules composees. 75. Colloques Internationaux du CNRS, Lille 1957. Paris: CNRS 1959.Google Scholar
- J.E. Roberts: Mathematical Aspects of Local Cohomology. Proceedings of the Colloquium on Operator Algebras and their Applications to Mathematical Physics, Marseille 1977. CNRS to appear.Google Scholar
- R. Lima: Introduction to W*-categories. These Proceedings.Google Scholar
- J.E. Roberts: A survey of Local Cohomdlogy, Proceedings of the Conference on Mathematical Problems in Theoretical Physics, Rome 1977. Lecture Notes in Physics 80: Springer, 1978.Google Scholar
- S. Sakai: C*-Algebras and W*-Algebras. Springer, 1971.Google Scholar
- J.E. Roberts: Cross Products of von Neumann Algebras by Group duals, SymposiaMathematica 22, 335–363, Academic Press 1976.Google Scholar
- W. Driessler: Duality and Absence of Locally Generated Superselection Sectors for CCR-Type Algebras.Google Scholar
- R. Haag: Quantum Field Theory. In “Mathematics of Contem- porary Physics”, Ed. R.F. Streater, Academic Press , 1972.Google Scholar
- J.E. Roberts: Spontaneously Bröken Gauge Symmetries and Superselection Rules. Proceedings of the International School of Mathematical Physics, Camerino 1974. Universitä di Camerino, 1976.Google Scholar