Seismic Stresses in the Region Azores — Spain — Western Mediterranean
The western end of the contact between the Eurasian and African plates extends to the Azores triple junction. Seismically, therefore, the region from the Azores islands to Italy must be considered together. At the western end the stresses are tensional normal to the axis of the ridge. Along the Azores-Gibraltar fault the motion is strike-slip right lateral changing to a north-south compression at the gulf of Cadiz. East of the strait, seismic activity is spread through the Alboran basin, Betica and Riff ranges. The continuation along the north African coast links this activity with the Sicily-Calabrian arc and Italian earthquakes. Stresses are mostly of compressional character, horizontal and normal to the trend of the activity. Main tectonic motions are the result of the main relative movements of the Eurasian and African plates, either compressional or right lateral.
KeywordsOceanic Crust Eurasian Plate Fault Plane Solution Slip Vector African Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Girardin, N., Hatzfeld, D., Guiraud, R.: La sismicité du Nord de l’Algérie. C. R. somm. Soc. Geol. Fr. fasc. 2, 95–100 (1977).Google Scholar
- Hatzfeld, D.: Etude Sismotectonique de la Zone de Collision Ibero-Maghrebine. Doct. Dissert. I. R. I. G. M., Univ. Scien. et Med. de Grenoble. 1–281 (1978). 84Google Scholar
- McKenzie, D. P.: Active Tectonics of the Mediterranean Region. Geoph. J. R. Astr. Soc. 30, 109–185 (1972).Google Scholar
- Mezcua,, J.: Tectonic Implications of the June 6,1977 Earthquake in Lorca, spain. Submitted to Bill. Seis.Soc. Am. (in press)(1980)Google Scholar
- Papazachos, B. C.: Distribution of Seismic Foci in the Mediterranean and Surrounding Area and its Tectonic Implication. Geoph. J. R. Astr. Soc. 33, 421430 (1973).Google Scholar
- Payo, G.: Crust-Mantle Velocity in the Iberian Peninsula and Tectonic Implications of the Seismicity in this Area. Geoph. J. R. Astr. Soc. 30, 85–99 (1972).Google Scholar
- Purdy, G. M.: The Eastern End of the Azores-Gibraltar Plate Boundary. Geoph. J. R. Astr. Soc. 43, 973–1000 (1975).Google Scholar
- Ritsema, A. R.: Seismic Data of the West Mediterranean and the Problem of Oceanization. Verhand. K. Ned. Geol. Mijnbouw. Gen. 26, 105–120 (1969).Google Scholar
- Ritsema, A. R.: Deep Earthquakes of the Tyrhenian Sea. Geologie en Mijnbouw. 51, (5) 541–545 (1972).Google Scholar
- Riuscetti, M., Schick, R.: Earthquakes and Tectonics in Southern Italy. Boll. di Geof. 17, 59–78 (1975).Google Scholar