Metabolic Alterations in an Animal Model of Huntington’s Disease Using the 14C-Deoxyglucose Method
Various brain regions showing altered glucose uptake in an animal model of Huntington’s disease (HD) were identified by the 14C-2-deoxy- glucose (DG) autoradiographic technique. Rats with kainic acid (KA) lesions of the neostriatum were used as an animal model of HD. KA-injected animals showed reduced utilization of DG in the injected neostriatum as well as in the ipsilateral rostral sulcal cortex, dentate fascia of hippocampus, ventromedial nucleus of the thalamus and cortico-bulbar tract. By contrast, enhanced uptake was found in the ipsilateral globus pallidus, entopeduneular nucleus, the area lateral to the lateral hypothalamus, the lateral habenular nucleus and pars reticulata of the substantia nigra. The results provide interesting in vivo metabolic and functional information on brain circuits involved in motor Performance.
KeywordsKainic Acid Medial Forebrain Bundle Ventromedial Nucleus Intrastriatal Injection Deoxyglucose Uptake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coyle, J.T., McGeer, E. G, McGeer, P. L., Schwartz,Neostriatal injections: A model for Huntington’s chorea. In: Kainic Acid as a Tool in Neurobiology (McGeer, E. G., Olney, J. W., McGeer, P. L., eds.), pp. 139–160. New York: Raven Press. 1978.Google Scholar
- Fibiger, H. C.: Kainic acid lesions of the striatum: A pharmacological and behavioral model of Huntington’s disease. In: Kainic Acid as a Tool in Neurobiology (McGeer, E. G., Olney, J. W., McGeer, P. L., eds.), pp. 161–176. New York: Raven Press. 1978.Google Scholar
- Kimura, H., Wada, J. A.: Metabolic exploration of amygdaloid (AM) kindled seizure using 14C-2-deoxyglucose (DG) method. Am. Epil. Soc. Abstract, 1979.Google Scholar
- König, J.F. R., Klippel, R. A.: The rat brain, a stereotaxic atlas of the forebrain and lower parts of the brain stem. Huntington, N.Y.: 1963.Google Scholar
- Sokoloff, L. Reivich, M., Kennedy, C., Des Rosiers, M. H., Patlak, C. S., Pettigrew, D., Sukurada, O., Shinohara, H.: The [l4C] deoxyglucose method for the measurement of local cerebral glucose utilization: theory procedure and normal values in the conscious and unconscious albino rat. J. Neurochem. 28, 897–916 (1977).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar