Foundations of Finite Precision Rational Arithmetic
Finite precision fraction number systems are characterized and their number theoretic foundations are developed. Closed approximate rational arithmetic in these systems is obtained by the natural canonical rounding obtained using the continued fraction theory concept of best rational approximation. These systems are shown to be natural finite precision number systems in that they are essentially independent of the apparatus of the representation. The specific fixed-slash and floating-slash fraction number systems are described and their feasibility and convenience for Computer implementation are discussed. The foundations of adaptive variable precision are explored. The overall goal is to better understand the inherent mathematical properties of finite precision arithmetic and to provide a most natural and convenient computation system for approximating real arithmetic on a Computer.
KeywordsNumber System Double Precision Simple Fraction Finite Precision Simple Chain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benford, F.: The law of anomalous numbers. Proc. Am. Phil. Soc. 78, 551–572 (1938).Google Scholar
- Dickson, L. E.: History of the theory of numbers, Vol. 1 (Reprint). Chelsea Publ. Co. 1971.Google Scholar
- Khintchin, A. Ya: Continued fractions. (Translated from Russian by P. Wynn.) Groningen: P. Noordhoff Ltd. 1963.Google Scholar
- Knuth, D. E.: The art of Computer programming, Vol. 2: Seminumerical algorithms. Reading: Addison-Wesley 1969.Google Scholar
- Kornerup, P., Matula, D. W.: A feasibility analysis of fixed-slash rational arithmetic, in: Proceedings of the 4th IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic, IEEE Catalog No. 78CH1412- 6C, 1978, pp. 39–47.Google Scholar
- Matula, D. W.: Fixed-slash and floating-slash rational arithmetic, in: Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic, IEEE Catalog No. 75CH1017–3C, 1975, pp. 90–91.Google Scholar
- Matula, D. W., Kornerup, P.: A feasibility analysis of binary fixed-slash and floating-slash number systems, in: Proceedings of the 4th IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic, IEEE Catalog No. 78CH1412–6C, 1978, pp. 29–38.Google Scholar
- Matula, D. W., Kornerup, P.: Approximate rational arithmetic systems: analysis of recovery of simple fractions during expression evaluation, in: Proceedings of EUROSAM 79 (Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 72), pp. 383–397. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer 1979.Google Scholar
- Matula, D. W., Kornerup, P.: In preparation.Google Scholar