Elementary Introduction to Gauge Theories
In the following lectures, I shall try to give an elementary introduction to gauge theories. I shall not assume that the reader is familiar with gauge theories, but I will expect him to know the elements of quantum electrodynamics such as Feynman rules and the like. I shall try to be as explicit as possible in all computations and I shall always try to develop the ideas along particularly simple examples without giving proofs for the general case. In the spirit of our society I shall thus follow the principle of “Division of Labour”: Let some prove the theorems and others use them.
KeywordsGauge Theory Vector Field Gauge Group Gauge Transformation Mass Term
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Pietschmann, Formulae and Results in Weak Interactions ( Springer Verlag Wien, New York, 1974 ).Google Scholar
- 3.E.S. Abers and B.W. Lee, Gauge Theories (Physics Reports 9C /1, Nov. 1973 ).Google Scholar
- J.C. Taylor, Gauge Theories of Weak Interactions (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1976 ).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Pietschmann, Acta Phys. Austr. Suppl. 13 (1974) 535.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Salam, in: Elementary Particle Theory, ed.N.Svartholm ( Almqvist and Wiksell, Stockholm 1968 ).Google Scholar