Graphic Representation of the Epileptic Focus
The concept of the epileptic focus as a single trigger of the epileptic discharge which then spreads to the environment is still subject to discussion. The evidence about brain damage provoking focal epilepsy, e. g. under clinical conditions following head injury5 or experimentally after application of some chemical compound on the brain3 appears to be exceptional particularly when the study of electrical brain acitivity is repeated with the recording made not only with scalp leads but within deep brain structures as well. The analysis of epileptic manifestations in both EEG and SEEG records may well affect the wiews of the epileptic focus.
KeywordsFocal Epilepsy Epileptic Activity Posterior Hypothalamus Epileptic Focus Epileptic Discharge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jasper, H. H. (1958), The ten twenty electrode system of the International Federation. Electroenceph. clin. Neurophysiol. 10, 371–375.Google Scholar
- 2.Jasper, H. H. (1962), Changing concepts of focal epilepsy in Cernacek, Cigánek round table conference on the surgical treatment of the epilepsies and its neurophysiological aspects, pp. 175–181, SAV, Bratislava.Google Scholar
- 4.Penfield, W., Erickson, T. (1941), Epilepsy and cerebral localisation. Springfield, Ill.: Thomas.Google Scholar
- 5.Penfield, W., Jasper, H. (1959), Epilepsy and the functional anatomy of the human brain. London: Churchill.Google Scholar
- 6.Nádvornik, P., Sramka, M. (1973), Stereotaksiceskaja dentatotomia. Voprosy nejrochir. 57, 1, 19–23.Google Scholar