• Günter Siegl
Part of the Virology Monographs / Die Virusforschung in Einzeldarstellungen book series (VIROLOGY, volume 15)


After this review went in press, additional data on several parvoviruses have been published. Thus, the Study Group on Parvoviridae of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses presented a summary of the main characteristics of members of the family parvoviridae (Bachmann et al, 1975). This paper, however, does not include some recent information on the virion of the minute virus of mice (MVM). Bourgignon et al. (1975) have shown that 99 per cent of complete MVM virions contain only one type of a single-stranded DNA (1.55 × 106 daltons) whereas the remaining 1 per cent of the particles yield a ssDNA of complementary base sequence. Moreover, digestion of viral DNA with the single-strand-specific nuclease S1 and Exo1 suggested 2 to 5 per cent (100–250 nucleotides) of the viral genome to form a double-stranded stable hair-pin structure at the 5′-terminus of the molecule.


Complete Virion Porcine Kidney Cell Fetal Lung Cell Bovine Fetal Lung Transplacental Infection 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

References to Addendum

  1. 1.
    A. Bachmann, P. A., Sheffy, B. E., Vaughan, J. T.: Experimental in utero infection of fetal pigs with porcine parvovirus. Infect. Immun. 12, 455–460 (1975)PubMedGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    A. Bachmann, P. A., Hoggan, M. D., Melnick, J. L., Pereira, H. G., Vago, C.: Parvoviridae. Intervirology 5, 83–92 (1975)Google Scholar
  3. 3.
    A. Bates, R. C., Storz, J., Doughri, A. M.: Morphogenesis of bovine parvovirus and associated cellular changes. Exp. molec. Path. 20, 208–215 (1974)PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    A. Bourgignon, G. J., Tattersall, P. J., Ward, D. C.: The DNA of Minute Virus of Mice: A single-stranded genome with a 5-terminal hairpin duplex. Abstr. Third Int. Congr. Virology, Madrid, p. 181 (1975)Google Scholar
  5. 5.
    A. Clinton, G. M., Hayashi, M.: The parvovirus MVM: Particles with altered structural proteins. Virology 66, 261–267 (1975)PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    A. Henry, C. J., Diario, A. F.: Induction of hepatitis in adult Syrian hamsters by H-l virus. Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. (N.Y.) 149, 23–28 (1975)Google Scholar
  7. 7.
    A. Kilham, L., Margolis, G.: Transmission of rat virus in milk of rats. J. infect. Dis. 129, 737–740 (1974)PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  8. 8.
    A. Mengeling, W. L.: Porcine parvovirus: Frequency of naturally occurring transplacental infection and viral contamination of fetal porcine kidney cell cultures. Amer. J. vet. Res. 36, 41–44 (1975)Google Scholar
  9. 9.
    A. Mengeling, W. L., Cutlip, R. C., Wilson, R. A., Parks, J. B., Marshall, R. F.: Fetal mummification associated with porcine parvovirus infection. J. Amer. vet. med. Ass. 166, 993–995 (1975)Google Scholar
  10. 10.
    A. Parris, D. S., Bates, R. C.: Replication of bovine parvovirus in S-phase cells. Amer. Soc. Microbiol. Abstr. p. 213 (1974)Google Scholar
  11. 11.
    A. Parris, D. S., Bates, R. C.: Effect of bovine parvovirus on macromolecular synthesis in synchronized cells. Amer. Soc. Microbiol. Abstr. p. 245 (1975)Google Scholar
  12. 12.
    A. Singer, I. I., Toolan, Helen W.: Ultrastructural studies of H-l parvovirus replication. I. Cytopathology produced in human NB epithelial cells and hamster embryo fibroblasts. Virology 65, 40–54 (1975)Google Scholar
  13. 13.
    A. Tattersall, P. J., Ward, D. C., Shatkin, A. J.: Sequence overlap between the structural polypeptides of the Minute Virus of Mice. Abstr. Third Int. Congr. Virology, Madrid, p. 183 (1975)Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag/Wien 1976

Authors and Affiliations

  • Günter Siegl
    • 1
  1. 1.Institute of Hygiene and Medical MicrobiologyUniversity of BernBernSwitzerland

Personalised recommendations