The Measurement of Synchronization
The high degree of spatial organization in the cortex makes it reasonable to look for a relationship between cortical function and the EEG in terms of the spatial distribution or topography of electrical activity. Although this is implicit in almost all EEG research, it is seldom stated explicitly. Synchronous activity is so named because of its specific topographic characteristics and its measurement may be useful to help understand the relationships between the obvious EEG phenomenon and the underlying physiological process.
KeywordsCorrelation Function Fast Fourier Transform Covariance Function Coherence Function Phase Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adey, W. R.: Computer analysis in neurophysiology. In: Stacy, R. W., and B. D. Waxman (eds.), Computers in biomedical research, Vol. 1, pp. 223–263. London: Academic Press. 1965.Google Scholar
- Bergland, G. D.: A guided tour of the Fast Fourier Transform. IEEE Spectrum, pp. 41–52 (1969).Google Scholar
- Bingham, C., D. Godfrey, and J. W. Tukey: Modern techniques of power spectrum estimation. IEEE Trans. AU-15, 56–66 (1967).Google Scholar
- Brazier, M. A. B.: The application of computers to electroencephalography. In: Stacy, R. W., and B. Waxman (eds.), Computers in biomedical research, Vol. 1, pp. 295–315. New York: Academic Press. 1965.Google Scholar
- Caille, E. J., D. M. Lelievre et A. C. Monteil: Information apportée par l’intégration en temps réel des spectres électroencéphalographiques au cour de la vigilance. L’Onde Electrique 50, 423–428 (1970).Google Scholar
- Dumermuth, G., and H. Flühler: Some modern aspects in numerical spectrum analysis of multichannel electroencephalographic data. Med. and Biol. Engng. 5, 319–331 (1967).Google Scholar
- Demott, D. W.: Cortical micro-toposcopy. Med. Res. Engng. 5, 23–29 (1966).Google Scholar
- Peronnet, F., M. Sindou, A. Laviron, F. Quoex, and P. Gerin: Human cortical electrogenesis: stratigraphy and spectral analysis. See this book, pp. 234–262.Google Scholar
- Shaw, J. C.: On the application of correlation theory to signal analysis. Med. and Biol. Engng. 5, 407–409 (1967).Google Scholar
- Shipton, H. W.: A new frequency-selective toposcope for electroencephalography. Med. and Biol. Engng. 1, 403–495 (1963).Google Scholar
- Wiener, N.: Extrapolation, interpolation and smoothing of stationary time series. London: Chapman and Hall. 1949.Google Scholar
- Ziskin, M. C.: On the application of correlation theory to signal analysis. Med. and Biol. Engng. 6, 453–455 (1968).Google Scholar