Stability of Magnetogasdynamic Flows
One of the most interesting problems in fluid dynamics is the problem of the stability of a laminar flow and its transition to turbulence. It will be of interest to see what effect the magnetic field has on the stability of laminar flow in magnetogasdynamics. In this chapter we are going to discuss some of the stability problems in magnetogasdynamics.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Rayleigh Number Basic Flow Boundary Layer Flow Transverse Magnetic Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chandrasehhar, S.: On the Inhibition of Convection of a Magnetic Field. Phil. Mag. ser. 7, vol. 43, No. 340, May 1952, pp. 501–532.Google Scholar
- 4.Cowling, T. G Magnetohydrodynamics. Chap. IV. Interscience Publishers, Inc., N.Y., 1957.Google Scholar
- 5.Curle, N.: On the Stability in the Presence of a Coplanar Magnetic Field of a Laminar Mixing Region in a Viscous Electrically Conducting Fluid. British ARC Rep. 18720, FM 2461, 30 Oct. 1956.Google Scholar
- 6.Edmonds, F. N. Jr.: Hydromagnetic Stability of a Conducting Fluid in a Circular Magnetic Field. The Physics of Fluids, vol. 1, No. 1, Jan.-Feb. 1958.Google Scholar
- 7.Kriisal, M., and M. Schwarzschild: Some Instabilities of a Completely Ionized Plasma. Proc. Roy. Soc. London A-223, 1954, pp. 348–360.Google Scholar
- 9.Lin, C. C.: The Theory of Hydrodynamic Stability. Cambridge Univ. Press, 1955.Google Scholar
- 10.Lock, R. C.: The Stability of the Slof of an Electrically Conducting Fluid between Parallel Planes under a Transverse Magnetic Field. Proc. Roy. Soc. London A-233, Dec. 1955, pp. 105–125.Google Scholar
- 12.Pai, S. I.: Viscous Flow Theory. I-Laminar Flow, Chap. XII. D. Van Nostrant Co. Inc., Princeton, N.Y., 1956.Google Scholar
- 14.Rossow, V. J.: Boundary Layer Stability Diagrams for Electrically Conducting Fluids in the Presence of a Magnetic Field. N. A. C. A. Tech. Note No. 4282, 1958.Google Scholar
- 15.Spitzer, L. Jr.: Physics of Fully Ionized Gases. Interscience Publishers, Inc., N.Y., 1956.Google Scholar
- 16.Stuart, J. T.: On the Stability of Viscous Flow between Parallel Planes in the Presence of a Coplanar Magnetic Field. Proc. Roy. Soc. London A-221, Jan. 1954, pp. 189–206.Google Scholar