A Working Arc Jet Rocket Engĭne
The purpose of this paper is to present experimental results on the performance and operating life of a 30-kW plasma jet rocket engine for space propulsion. The arc jet rocket engine is currently the simplest of the different proposed electric propulsion devices. The working fluid is injected into the arc chamber, heated by Joule heating as it passes through the discharge, and is expanded through a conventional nozzle. The nozzle serves to convert the ohmic heating in the electric arc discharge into kinetic energy. No effort is made to produce thrust by the interaction of electromagnetic fields and the working fluid. The arc jet engine is basically similar to the chemical rocket differing only in that energy is introduced into the arc chamber by a continuous electric discharge rather than by chemical reaction.
KeywordsMolar Enthalpy Rocket Engine Electric Propulsion Specific Impulse Nozzle Pressure Ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. C. Adams and M. Carnac, ARS Controllable Satellites Conference, M.I.T., ARS Preprint 791–59.Google Scholar
- T. R. Brogan, ARS Journal, 29, No. 9 (September, 1959 ).Google Scholar
- W. Finkelnburg and H. Maecker, Handbuch der Physik, Vol. XXII ( Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1956 ).Google Scholar
- A. A. Ducati and G. L. Cann, ARS 14th Annual Meeting, ARS Preprint 1010–59 (November, 1959 ).Google Scholar
- G. M. Giannini, Second Symposium on Advanced Propulsion Concepts, Boston, Mass., Preprint Number M-11 (October, 1959 ).Google Scholar
- C. Sheer, Development of Nonconsumable Anode for Fluid Transpiration into a High-Intensity Arc, Vitro Laboratories, East Orange, New Jersey (December, 1959 ).Google Scholar
- M. Summerfield, “The Liquid Propellant Rocket Engine”, Section G, Vol. XII, Princeton High Speed Aerodynamics and Jet Propulsion Series (Princeton University Press, 1959 ).Google Scholar
- J. Hall et al, ARS Journal, 10, No. 2 (February 1960).Google Scholar
- M. Camac, Astronautics, 4, No. 10 (October, 1959 ).Google Scholar
- G. Heller, ARS 14th Annual Meeting, ARS Preprint 1004–59 (November, 1959 ).Google Scholar
- Aviation Week, April 4, 1960, pp. 26–27.Google Scholar
- Aviation Week, May 23, 1960, p. 116.Google Scholar