The Stability of Matter
An outline is presented of the proofs of three basic facts about quantum-mechanical Coulomb systems: (i) atoms have finite ground state energies; (ii) the energy of bulk matter saturates; (iii) the thermodynamic limit exists.
KeywordsGround State Energy Thermodynamic Limit Uncertainty Principle Coulomb Force Total Particle Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S.L. Sobolev, Mat. Sb. 46, 471, 1938. See also S.L, Sobolev, Amer. Math. Soc. Trans 1. of Monographs, 7, 1963.Google Scholar
- 4.E.H. Lieb and W.E. Thirring, Phys. Rev. Lett. 35, 687, 1975? Errata: Phys. Rev. Lett, 3J5, 1116, 1975. For more details on kinetic energy inequalities and their application, see also E.H. Lieb and W.E. Thirring, Inequalities for the moments of the Eigenvalues of the Schrödinger Hamiltonian and their relation to Sobolev inequalities, in Studies in Mathematical Physics: Essays in Honor of Valentine Bargmann, E.H. Lieb, B. Simon and A.S. Wightman editors, Princeton University Press, 1976.Google Scholar
- 6.E.H. Lieb and B. Simon, Adv. in Math. 1977, in press. See also E.H. Lieb and B. Simon, Phys. Rev. Lett. 33, 681, 1973.Google Scholar
- 7.E.H. Lieb and J.L. Lebowitz, Adv. in Math. 9, 316, 19 72. See also J.L. Lebowitz and E.H. Lieb, Phys. Rev. Lett. 22, 631, 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.E.H. Lieb, Rev. Mod. Phys. October 1976.Google Scholar
- 11.E.H. Lieb, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 1976, in press.Google Scholar
- 13.E.H. Lieb and H. Narnhofer, J. Stat. Phys. 12, 291, 1975. Erratum: J. Stat. Phys. 14, No. 5, 1976.Google Scholar