The Spin Muon Collaboration Experiment
The method and status of CERN experiment NA47 to measure the structure function g1 of the neutron (for the first time) and of the proton (with improved accuracy compared to earlier measurements) is outlined. First data were taken for 100 and 210 GeV polarized muons deep-inelastically scattered off a polarized deuterated butanol target.
KeywordsDynamic Nuclear Polarization Nucleon Spin Muon Beam Proportional Chamber Target Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- EMC, J. Ashman et al., Nucl. Phys. 8328 1 (1989) and references therein.Google Scholar
- J. Ellis and R.L. Jaffe, Phys. Rev. D9, 1444 (1974) and D10, 1669 (1974).Google Scholar
- Contributions from G.G. Petratos and M. Dueren to this conference and R. Windmolders, to be published in Int. Journ. Mod. Phys. (1991)Google Scholar
- SMC, “Measurement of the Spin-dependent Structure Functions of the Neutron and the Proton”, CERN proposal SPSC 88–47, Dec. 1988.Google Scholar
- In the Spin Muon Collaboration the following institutions participate: University of Bielefeld; University of California, Los Angeles; CERN; Delft University of Technology; University of Freiburg; GKSS; Helsinki University of Technology; University of Houston; JINR, Dubna; University of Mainz; University of Mons; University of Munich; Nagoya University; NIKHEF, FOM and Free University (Amsterdam), Northeastern University; Northwestern University; Rice University; Saclay DAPNIA; University of Santiago de Compostela; Tel Aviv University; University of Trieste; Uppsala University; University of Virginia; Warsaw University and Institute for Nuclear Studies;Yale University.Google Scholar
- NMC, Phys. Lett. B249 366 (1990) and NMC, to be published in Nucl. Phys. B. Google Scholar
- R.L. Jaffe and Xiangdong Ji, Phys. Rev. D43 724 (191);Google Scholar
- T. Niinikoski et al., Proc. 9th Symposion on High Spin Physics, Bonn, Sept. 1990, W. Meyer, E. Steffens and W. Thiel (Eds.), Springer-Verlag (1991), contributions on page 266, 272, 347, 363, 369, 378.Google Scholar
- S. Trentalange et al., same as previous reference, page 325.Google Scholar