An Efficient Load Balancing Strategy for Shared-Nothing Database Systems
This paper deals with load balancing in shared-nothing database systems. We introduce the notion of cell as the unit of data partition and load balancing. Since the number of items we need to be examined during load balancing is significantly reduced, our technique provides very impressive improvement over traditional approaches.
KeywordsHash Function Load Balance Global Index Large Data Base Average Cell Size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. Copeland, W. Alexander, E. Boughter, and T. Keller. Data placement in Bubba. In Proceedings of the 1988 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pages 99-108. ACM, June 1988.Google Scholar
- S. Englert, J. Gray, T. Kocher, and P. Shah. A benchmark of NonStop SQL release 2 demonstrating near-linear speedup and scaleup on large databases. Technical report.Google Scholar
- M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnspn. Computers and Intractability, A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W. H. Freeman and Company, 1979.Google Scholar
- S. Ghandeharizadeh and D. J. DeWitt. Hybrid-range partitioning strategy: A new partitioning strategy for multiprocessor database machines. In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pages 481-492, August 1990.Google Scholar
- H.-I. Hsiao and D. J. DeWitt. Chained declustering: A new availability strategy for multiprocessor database machines. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Data Engineering, pages 456-465, February 1990.Google Scholar
- K. Hua and C. Lee. An adaptive data placement scheme for parallel database computer systems. In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, August 1990.Google Scholar
- K. A. Hua and C. Lee. Handling data skew in multicomputer database systems using partition tuning. In Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pages 525-536, September 1991.Google Scholar
- K. A. Hua, C. Lee, and H. C. Young. Data partitioning for multicomputer database systems: A cell-based approach. RJ 8146, IBM Almaden Research Center, June 1991.Google Scholar
- M. S. Lakshmi and P. S. Yu. Limiting join factors of join performance on parallel processors. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Data Engineering, pages 488-496, February 1989.Google Scholar
- R. A. Lorie, J.-J. Daudenarde, J. W. Stamos, and H. C. Young. Exploiting database parallelism in a message-passing multiprocessor. IBM Journal of Research and Development, 1992. To appear. Also available as IBM RJ 8202, June, 1991.Google Scholar
- R. A. Lorie and H. C. Young. A low communication sort algorithm for a parallel database machine. In Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pages 125-134. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Mateo, CA, August 1989.Google Scholar
- Teradata. DBC/1012 Data Base Computer Concepts and Facilities. Teradata Corporation, Los Angeles, CA., 1988. Teradata Document C02-0001-05.Google Scholar