Envilex: An Integrated Environmental Law Expert System
This paper illustrates an initial implementation of an integrated expert system on environmental law. It is a system that, apart from having the performance of a typical expert system, offers the user the possibility of using additional non formalised knowledge through an advanced information retrieval system. The system, based on Italian regulations relating to air pollution, uses the FLEX LPA shell implemented in Prolog, a hybrid expert system toolkit, providing features and functionality normally associated with high cost expert systems. It represents a natural evolution after lengthy experimentation of expert systems in the legislative domain. This implementation is also not aimed merely at lawyers who are the user group our research is usually addressed to, but, given the domain here, at large sectors of the community.
KeywordsExpert System Knowledge Representation Competent Authority Threshold Limit Value Italian National Research Council
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Cammelli, F. Socci, Lexis a Legal Expert System for Improving Legislative Drafting, in: Database and Expert Systems Applications (A. M. Tjoa and R. Wagner, eds.) Springer-Verlag, Wien, New York, 1990, p. 405–409. Also seeGoogle Scholar
- A. Cammelli, F. Socci, Lexis: Un sistema esperto nel diritto per interpretare e scrivere le norme, in: “Sistemi Esperti nel Diritto” (A. Martino, ed.), Cedam, Padua, 1989, p. 591–607.Google Scholar
- AA. VV., Bibliografia giuridica dell’ambiente, a review of books and articles published in Italy from 1975 to 1990, edited by CNR, Rome, 1991.Google Scholar
- A. Cammelli, F. Socci,: LEXIS: A Legal Expert System For Improving Legislative Drafting, in Proceedings of the III International Conference on “LOGIC, INFORMATICS, LAW” (A. Martino Ed.), vol. II, Florence, 1989, p. 189-201.Google Scholar
- C. Biagioli, P. Mariani, D. Tiscornia, ESPLEX: A Rule and Conceptual Based Model for Representing Statutes, In: The First International Conference on: Artificial Intelligence and Law, ACM, May 1987, p. 240-251.Google Scholar
- A. Cammelli, F. Socci: LEXIS: Un sistema esperto giuridico dalla parte del cittadino. In: “Sistemi Esperti Giuridici” (P. Mariani, D. Tiscornia, eds.), Ed. Franco Angeli, Milan, 1989, p. 419–434.Google Scholar