The INQUERY Retrieval System
As larger and more heterogeneous text databases become available, information retrieval research will depend on the development of powerful, efficient and flexible retrieval engines. In this paper, we describe a retrieval system (INQUERY) that is based on a probabilistic retrieval model and provides support for sophisticated indexing and complex query formulation. INQUERY has been used successfully with databases containing nearly 400,000 documents.
KeywordsApplication Programmer Interface Structure Query Language Finite State Automaton Query Node Lexical Analyzer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eugene Charniak. Baysian networks without tears. AI Magazine, 12(4), Winter 1991.Google Scholar
- Kenneth Church. A stochastic parts program and noun phrase parser for unrestricted text. In Proceedings of the 2nd Conference on Applied Natural Language Processing, pages 136-143, 1988.Google Scholar
- Stephen C. Johnson. Yacc: Yet another compiler compiler. In UNIX Programmer’s Manual. Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc, Murray Hill, NJ, 1979.Google Scholar
- M. E. Lesk and E. Schmidt. Lex — a lexical analyzer generator. In UNIX Programmer’s Manual. Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc, Murray Hill, NJ, 1979.Google Scholar
- Michael Loren Mauldin. Information retrieval by text skimming. PhD thesis, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburg, PA, 1989.Google Scholar
- Judea Pearl. Probabilistic reasoning in intelligent systems: Networks of plausible inference. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA, 1988.Google Scholar
- Lisa F. Rau. Extracting company names from text. In Proceedings of the Sixth IEEE Conference on Artificial Intelligence Applications, 1991.Google Scholar
- Howard Turtle and W. Bruce Croft. Evaluation of an inference network-based retrieval model. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 9(3), July 1991.Google Scholar
- Howard R. Turtle and W. Bruce Croft. Efficient probabilistic inference for text retrieval. In RIAO’ 91 Conference Proceedings, pages 644-661, Barcelona, Spain, April 1991.Google Scholar