Structuring Text within a Relational System
We introduce a preprocessor that uses a relational system and semantic modeling to impose structure on text. Our intent is to show that document retrieval applications can be easily developed within the relational model. We illustrate several operations that are typically found in information retrieval systems, and show how each can be performed in the relational model. These include keywording, proximity searches, and relevance ranking. We also include a discussion of an extension to relevance based on semantic modeling.
KeywordsSimilarity Coefficient Semantic Modeling Information Retrieval System Inverted Index Document Retrieval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Crawford. The relational model in information retrieval. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, pp. 51-64, January 1981.Google Scholar
- C. Date. An Introduction to Database Systems. Addison-Wesley, 1990.Google Scholar
- C. Fillmore. The case for case. Universals in Linguistics Theory pp. 1-90, 1968.Google Scholar
- J. Hodges and E. Lehmann. Basic Concepts of Probability and Statistics. Holden-Days, 1964.Google Scholar
- C. Lynch. Extending relational database management systems for information retrieval. PhD thesis, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1987.Google Scholar
- C. Lynch and M. Stonebraker. Extended user-defined indexing with application to textual databases. Proceedings of the 14th VLDB Conference, pp. 306-317, 1988.Google Scholar
- I. Macleod. A relational approach to modular information retrieval systems design. Proceedings of the ASIS Annual Meeting, 15, pp. 83–85, 1978.Google Scholar
- I. Macleod. Sequel as a language for document retrieval. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, pp. 243-249, September 1979.Google Scholar
- G. Salton. Automatic Text Processing. Addison-Wesley, 1989.Google Scholar
- E. Wendlandt and J. R. Driscoll. Enhancing text retrieval semantically. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 91), pp. 118-123, August 1991.Google Scholar
- E. Wendlandt and J. R. Driscoll. Incorporating a semantic analysis into a document retrieval strategy. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 91), pp. 270-279, October 1991.Google Scholar