Symbolic computation in RL/1
This article discusses the use of RL/1 to build quantitative models and the application of these models to assist in decision making. A set of constraints constitutes a model. Constraint models can be extended and modified easily and the representation of model knowledge is separated from its use. The model knowledge is used by means of a constraint solver. This allows the application of the same knowledge for different purposes. In addition the knowledge representation allows the user to analyze relationships between variables ar’.d to infer new relationships that hold in special circumstances.
KeywordsCardiac Output Stroke Volume Central Venous Pressure Systemic Vascular Resistance Respiratory Quotient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Annejet P. Meyler, Automation in Anesthesia, a Relief ?; evaluation of a data acquisition and display system, thesis of the university of Eindhoven, The Netherlands, ISBN 90–9001441–1, (1986).Google Scholar
- van Denneheuvel, S. and van Emde Boas, P., The rule language RL/1, A. M. Tjoa and R. Wagner (eds.), Database and Expert Systems Applications, Proc. of the International Conference, Vienna, Austria, Aug 1990, Springer Verlag Wien, 381–387, (1990).Google Scholar
- Jaffar, J. and Michaylov, S., Methodology and Implementation of a CLP System, Logic Programming, Proc. of the Fourth Int. Conf., Ed. Jean-Louis Lassez, 196–218, (1987).Google Scholar
- Karliczek, G. F., Gens, F. A., Wiersma, G., Oosterhaven, S. and Jenkins, I., Carola, a computer system for automatic documentation in anesthesia, Int. J. Clin. Monitoring and Computing 4, 211–221, (1987).Google Scholar
- Leler, Win., Constraint Programming Languages: Their Specification and Generation, Addison-Wesly Series in Computer Science, Addison-Wesly, (1988).Google Scholar
- Van Emde Boas, P., RL, a Language for Enhanced Rule Bases Database Processing, Working Document, Rep IBM Research, RI 4869 (51299), (1986).Google Scholar
- Van Emde Boas, H. and van Emde Boas, P., Storing and Evaluating Horn-Clause Rules in a Relational Database, IBM J. Res. Develop. 30 (1), 80–92, (1986).Google Scholar
- Wolfram, S., Mathematica, A System for Doing Mathematics by Computer, Addison-Wesly, (1988).Google Scholar