End-user Interface to Improve Microcomputer DBMS Efficiency
Recently many microcomputer DBMSs were introduced. Due to a simplified design most of them lack tools for efficient query processing. The findings of good query evaluation strategies are up to end-users. So, to improve the query execution, there is a need of additional interfaces. Similar shells could be built on top of the microcomputer DBMS. In this paper the design of such a tool called Users Query Processor is presented. A concrete implementation of this shell f or Oracle DBMS is described. Analytic estimates giving rise to the possibility of choosing the effective method for query evaluation and a brief overview of the incorporated algorithms are also given. Finally benchmark results for Oracle DBMS show that considerable performance advantages may be obtained.
KeywordsQuery Processing Query Evaluation Query Plan Considerable Performance SIGMOD Record
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Elmasri R., Navathe S. “Fundamentals of Database Systems”, The Benjamin/ Cummings Publishing Company, 1989.Google Scholar
- Ullmann J. “Principles of Database and Knowledge-Base Systems”, Vol.i, Computer Science Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- Zdonik S., Maier D. “Readings in Object - Oriented Database Systems” Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1990.Google Scholar
- The Laguna Beach Report, “Future Directions in DBMS Research”, SIGMOD Record, Vol 18, 1, March, 1989.Google Scholar
- Astrahan M., Chamberlin D. “Implementation of a Structured English Query Language”, Comm. ACM 18,10 1975, pp. 580–588.Google Scholar
- (7].Seymour J. “Programmable Databases: dBASE and its Challengers”, PC Magazine, May 1988.Google Scholar
- Bultzingloeven A.“Translating and Optimizing SQL Queries Having Aggregates”, Proceedings of the 13-th International Conference on VLDB, Brighton, UK, 1987, pp.235–243.Google Scholar
- Ganski R., Wong H. “Optimization of Nested SQL Queries Revisited”, ACM-SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, 1987, pp. 23–33.Google Scholar
- Peneva J., Angelova J. “Efficient Evaluation of Nested SQL Queries”, Proc. of the 13-th International Seminar on DBMS, Mamaia, Romania,1990.Google Scholar
- Agraval R. et al. “Ode-View: The Graphical Interface to Ode”, Proc. of the 1990 ACM SIGMOD Conference on Management of Data, SIGMOD RECORD, Vol.19, 2, pp. 34–44.Google Scholar
- Codd E. “The Relational Model, Version 2”, Addison- Wesley, 1990.Google Scholar
- Harringhton J. “Relational Database Management for Microcomputers: Design and Implementation”, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1988.Google Scholar