Making C++ Object Persistent by Using a Standard Relational Database System
This paper describes an approach for making objects created in C+ + persistent by linking C+ + to a relational database system. In a first step the necessary concepts and the underlying data model are introduced. In a second step we give an overview of the API and its use in C++. To support the decomposition of complex data types into flat relations we introduce a precompiler. For the implementation of the prototype we choose the relational DBMS Oracle. In order to make the system portable to other relational DBMS we have made it as transparent as possible. Finally we give an example to demonstrate the prototypes functionality and compare the results of our approach with the demands stated in the OODB manifesto .
KeywordsInstance Variable Member Function Relational Database System Object Persistent Class Declaration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Atkinson, F. Bancilhon, D. DeWitt, K. Dittrich, D. Maier, S. Zdonik, The object-oriented database system manifesto (a political pamphlet), Proc. DOOD 89, Kyoto, Japan, December 1989.Google Scholar
- J. Eder, G. Kappet, A Min Tjoa, R.R. Wagner, BIER - The Behavior Integrated Entity Relationship Approach, Proc. 5th, Int. Conference on ER-Approach, Dijon, 1986.Google Scholar
- J. Eder, G. Kappe!, A Min Tjoa, R.R. Wagner, A Behavior Design Methodology for Information Systems, Proc. IEEE 6th, Int. Conference on Computers and Communications, Phoenix, 1987.Google Scholar
- Ch. Gierlinger, K. Reisinger, A M. Toja, R. R. Wagner: Update-Dependencies in Dynamic Data Models for Office Information Systems, International Conference on Organizations and Information Systems, Yugoslavia, Bled, Conf. Proc., 1989.Google Scholar
- Ch. Gierlinger, F. Kastner, R. R. Wagner, BIER ‘80, The Behavior Integrated Entity Relationship Model ‘80, in print in Bibliotheka Informatyki Szkol Wyzszych, Pub. M. Bazewicza, Wroclaw, Polen, 1990.Google Scholar
- Oracle Corporation, Pro*C User’s Guide, Belmont CA, 1987.Google Scholar
- J. L. Peterson: Petri Net Theory and the Modelling of Systems, Prentice Hall, 1981.Google Scholar
- B. Stroustrup, The C++ Programming Language, Addison-Wesley 1986.Google Scholar
- R. S. Wiener, L. J. Pinson, An Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming and C++, Addison-Wesley, 1988.Google Scholar