Integrity Constraint Enforcement through Transaction Modification
The complexity of modern database applications requires powerful integrity maintenance facilities in the context of transaction processing. This paper proposes a mechanism for integrity constraint handling based on transaction modification. This mechanism conforms to the complete transaction model, complying with transaction atomicity and serializability. Further, the technique can be integrated into the normal query processing strategy of a relational DBMS, and can thus easily be applied in a real world system; this is shown for the PRISMA parallel database system. Transaction modification is fit for handling a large class of constraints and provides a high degree of flexibility and extensibility.
KeywordsIntegrity Constraint Relational Algebra Constraint Handling Transaction Manager Transition Constraint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ce90]S. Ceri, J. Widom; Deriving Production Rules for Constraint Maintenance; Proc. 16th VLDB Conference; Brisbane, Australia, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Gr90a]P.W.P.J. Grefen, P.M.G. Apers; Parallel Handling of Integrity Constraints on Fragmented Relations; Proc. International Symposium on Databases in Parallel and Distributed Systems; Dublin, Ireland, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Gr90b]P.W.P.J. Grefen, J. Flokstra, P.M.G. Apers; Parallel Handling of Integrity Constraints; Proc. Workshop on Parallel Database Systems; Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 1990.Google Scholar
- Gr90c] P.W.P.J. Grefen; Integrity Constraint Enforcement through Transaction Modification; Memorandum INF90–60; University of Twente, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Ní82]J.M. Nicolas; Logic for Improving Integrity Checking in Rela- tional Data Bases; Acta Informatica Vol. 18, 1982.Google Scholar
- [Sí84]E. Simon, P. Valduriez; Design and Implementation of an Extendible Integrity Subsystem; Proc. 1984 SIGMOD Conference; Boston, USA, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Si87]E. Simon, P. Valduriez; Design and Analysis of a RelationalIntegrity Subsystem; MCC Technical Report Number DB-01587; MCC, Austin, USA, 1987.Google Scholar
- [St75]M. Stonebraker; Implementation of Integrity Constraints and Views by Query Modification; Proc. 1975 SIGMOD Conference; San Jose, USA, 1975.Google Scholar
- [Wí89]A.N. Wilschut, P.W.P.J. Grefen, P.M.G. Apers, M.L. Kersten; Implementing PRISMA/DB in an OOPL; Proc. 6th International Workshop on Database Machines; Deauville, France, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Z178]M.M. Zloof; Security and Integrity within the Query-by-Example Database Management Language; IBM RC 6982; Yorktown Hts., USA, 1978.Google Scholar