Knowledge-Based Schema Analysis in a Multi-Database Framework
Schema analysis is a very important issue in the integration of a corporate information system. The basic problems to be dealt with during integration come from structural and semantical diversities in schemas to be merged. Before we integrate local schemas, we must ascertain how conflicts and correspondences between types in different schemas can be identified. In this paper, we present a strategy for schema analysis based on a knowledge-based version of the object-oriented paradigm and describe a methodology for discovering structural and semantic relatedness of components within disparate information sources.
KeywordsInformation Source Schema Analysis Object Type Semantic Relationship Role Relationship
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Batini, M. Lenzerini, S. B. Navathe,`A Comparative Analysis of Methodologies for Database Schema Integration’, Computing Surveys, vol. 18, no. 4, December 1986.Google Scholar
- S. Navathe et al.,`Integration User Views in Database Design’, IEEE Computer, vol. 19, no. 1, January 1986.Google Scholar
- A. P. Sheth, J. A. Larson, `A Tool For Integration Conceptual Schema And User Views’, IEEE Conf. on Data & Knowledge Eng., pp. 176–183, Los Angles, Feb. 1988.Google Scholar
- S. Hayne, S. Ram, ‘Muti-User View Integration System(MUVIS): An Expert System for View Integration’, IEEE Conf. on Data Si Knowledge Eng., pp. 402–409, Feb. 1990.Google Scholar
- S. Zdonik and D. Maier, `Readings in Object-Oriented Database System’, Morgan Koffman Publishers, San Mateo, CA, 1990.Google Scholar
- M. P. Papazoglou, `Knowledge-Driven Distributed Information System’, 14th Int’l Computer Software & Application Conference, COMPSAC-90, pp. 671–679, Chicago, Oct. 1990.Google Scholar
- W. Effelsberg, M. Mannino `Attribute Equivalence in Global Schema Design for Heterogeneous Distributed Databases’, Information Systems, vol. 9, no. 3, 1984.Google Scholar
- S. Slade, `Case-Based Reasoning: A Research Paradigm’, AI-Magazine, pp. 42–55, Spring 1991.Google Scholar
- M. Vilain et al, `On Analytical and Similarity-Based Classification’, AAAI-90 Conference, pp. 867–874, Boston, 1990.Google Scholar