Uncertainty Management in Object-Oriented Database Systems
In this paper, we propose an approach and basic constructs to realize a fuzzy database processing capability on an Object-Oriented Database (OODB) system. The proposed approach can manage several types of uncertainties: (1) uncertain objects, (2) uncertain relationships between instance objects, (3) uncertain instance-of relationships, and (4) uncertain is-a (subclass/superclass) relationships. A notable feature is the usage of extensibility offered by OODB systems. That is, it is possible to add these several uncertainties without restructuring a database schema. We will describe our prototype fuzzy OODB system and briefly show the functionalities of the system by using an example movie database.
KeywordsDatabase Schema Fuzzy Relation Class Hierarchy Instance Object Uncertainty Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Motro,A., Accommodating Imprecision in Database Systems: Issues and Solution, ACM SIGMOD RECORD, Vol.19, No.4, pp.69–74, December 1990.Google Scholar
- Motro,A., VAGUE: A User Interface to Relational Databases That Permits Vague Queries, ACM Trans. on Office Information Systems, Vol.6, no.3, pp.187–214, July 1988.Google Scholar
- Raju,K.V.S.V.N. and Majumdar,A., Fuzzy Functional Dependencies and Lossless Join Decomposition of Fuzzy Database Systems, ACM Trans. on Database Systems, Vol.13, No.2, pp.129–166, June 1988.Google Scholar
- Morrissey,J.M., Imprecise Information and Uncertainty in Information Systems, ACM Trans. on Information Systems, Vol.8, No.2, pp.159–180, April 1990.Google Scholar
- Umano,M., Perspective and Trends of Fuzzy Databases, proc. of Advanced Database System Symposium’89, pp. 207–214, December 1989.Google Scholar
- Atkinson,M. et al., The Object-Oriented Database System Manifesto, in Deductive and Object-Oriented Databases, pp.223–240, North-Holland, 1990.Google Scholar
- VERSANT Object Technology, VERSANT System Manual, Sept. 1990.Google Scholar
- Zadeh,L.A., Fuzzy Sets as a Basic for Theory of Possibility, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.1, pp. 3–28, 1978.Google Scholar