Lexis: A Legal Expert System for Improving Legislative Drafting
The prospective in which this research project has, in fact, developed, which we intend to illustrate here, is aimed at making a methodological contribution to the analysis and improvement of legislative drafting. The awareness that a very inadequate legislative corpus has serious repercussions on society as a whole has, over the last few years, encouraged and prompted research and experimentation directed towards creating better laws from both the substantive and formal point of view .
KeywordsKnowledge Base Inference Engine Criminal Code Prison Sentence Normative Text
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Important research of this kind has been done by the Commission for Research into the Simplification of Procedures and the Feasibility and Enforcement of Legislation, chaired by Alberto Barettoni Arleri, described in a book by Arleri: “Fattibilità ed applicabilità delle leggi”, Maggioli, Rimini, 1983. On the same topic, see G. Abagnale, “Tecniche legislative: prime riflessioni su alcune esperienze straniere”, in “Le Region”, Vol. XIII, 1985, March-June, Nos. 2–3, p. 241–255.Google Scholar
- The product works on an IBM Personal Computer or IBM compatible, requires at least 640 K of memory capacity and preferably a hard disk, is written in Language C. For a critical analysis of the potentiality of Xi plus see: R. Forsyth, “Expertech Xi plus”, in: “Expert Systems”, Vol. 4,1987, February, No. 1, p. 48–51.Google Scholar
- With reference to this, see the Internal Report of the “Istituto per la Documentazione Giuridica” which collects several papers on the subject together: “Automated Analysis of Legislation, Trends in Research from 1981 to 1984”, IDG, December 1984.Google Scholar
- Law No. 194 of 22 May 1978, sect. 19(5): “Quando l’interruzione volontaria della gravidanza avviene su donna minore degli anni diciotto, o interdetta, fuori dei casi o senza l’osservanza delle modalità previste dagli articoli 12 e 13, chi la cagiona è punito con le pene rispettivamente previste dai commi precedenti aumentate fino alla meta. La donna non è punibile”.Google Scholar
- When the pregnancy of a woman who is less than eighteen years old, or who is legally incapable, is voluntary terminated, outside the instances provided for or without complying with the provisions in sections 12 and 13, the person who causes it will be sentenced to the punishment laid down respectively in the preceding subsections increased by up to a half. The woman will not be punishable“.Google Scholar