“Conceptual Retrieval” Using Object—Oriented Approach
The emphasis today in information retrieval is Leaning towards ’quality’ rather than ’quantity’. This is due to new technologies such as artificial intelligence and expert systems. From these technologies, ’expert’ data base systems have emerged. Not tong after that enters object-oriented programming and another class of database called object-oriented data bases begin to appear. These new technologies have serious implications on information retrieval as a whole, changing the ways in which we can perceive and treat information. This paper describes how one can improve on the quality and the authoritativeness of retrieved information using ’conceptual retrieval’, implemented via the object-oriented paradigm.
KeywordsInformation Retrieval Expert System Knowledge Representation Semantic Network Instance Object
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Tulving,E.;Donaldson,W.(eds). Organisation of memory. New York. Academic press, 1972.Google Scholar
- Sowa,J.F. Conceptual structures Information processing in mind and machine. Reading, Mass.,:Addison-Wesley publishing co., 1984.Google Scholar
- Davis,R.(ed). Intelligent information systems: progress and prospects. Chichester, W. Sussex,: Ellis Harwood Ltd., 1986.Google Scholar
- ]Kerschberg,L. Expert data base system.Computer bulletin, June 1987, pg 7–9, 16.Google Scholar
- ]Woods, W.A. What’s important about knowledge representation? Computer, Oct. 1983, pg 22–27.Google Scholar
- Tan, T.C.; Smith, P; Pegman, M. A knowledge based tool to support technical research and development. In: Proceedings of the first ESA world conference, J. Liewbowitz (ed), Paris 1989, iitt Int’l, pg 89–94.Google Scholar
- Robertson,D.; Muetzelfeldt,R.; Plummer,D.;Uschold,M.;Bundy,A. The ECO browser. Department of AI, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.Google Scholar
- White,A.R. Conceptual analysis. In The Owl of Minerva, C.J. Bontempo & S.J. Odell (eds), New York McGraw-Hill, 1975, 103–117.Google Scholar
- Stroustrup,B. What is objectoriented programming? In Proceedings of ECOOP ‘87, Paris, BIGRE (pub), June 1986, pg 139–144.Google Scholar
- Artandi,S. Document representation and representation. Annual review of information science and technology. C.A. Cuadra, 5: 161, 1970, pg 143–167.Google Scholar
- Rich,E. Users are individuals. Individualizing user models. In. R. Davis.Google Scholar