The study of experimental cerebral edema is being actively pursued in many laboratories. Experiments have been concerned with the electron microscopic demonstration of the site of fluid accumulation and such observations have contributed importantly towards an understanding of problems associated with fluid exchange as well as with the interstitial and cellular fluid compartments of the mammalian brain. Histochemical studies on brain edema have been primarily concerned with the reactive responses of the glia and provided valuable information (Rubinstein, et al., 1962). Recently, Torack (1965) designed histochemical and electron microscopic experiments of a heuristic nature, in agreement with biochemical findings. Briefly, triethyltin (TET) inhibits oxidative phosphorylation in brain and liver tissue slices and mitochondria (Aldridge, 1958), and Torack (1965) was able to show a selective inhibition of a glutaraldehyde resistant ATPase in the white matter of rats poisoned with TET.
KeywordsCorpus Callosum Brain Edema Anterior Commissure Fluid Accumulation Hexose Monophosphates
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aldridge, W. N.: The biochemistry of organotin compounds; tri- alkyltins and oxidative phosphorylation, Biochem. J.. 69, 367–376 (1958).Google Scholar
- Rubinstein, L. J., I. Klatzo and J. Miguel: Histochemical observations on oxidative enzyme activity of glial cells in a local brain injury, Ibid., 21, 116–136 (1962).Google Scholar
- Torack, R. M.: The relationship between adenosinetriphosphatase activity and triethyltin toxicity in the production of cerebral edema of the rat, Amer. J. Path.. 46, 245–251 (1965).Google Scholar
- Torack, R. M., R. D. Terry and H. M. Zimmerman: The fine structure of cerebral fluid accumulation. II. Swelling produced by triethyl tin poisoning and its comparison with that in the human brain, Ibid., 36, 273–287 (1960).Google Scholar
- Wegmann, R. and Z. Bankowski: Différenciation histochimique de quatre groupes d’adénosine triphosphatases selon Slater, Ann. Histoçhim., 5, 121–141 (1960).Google Scholar
- Wieme, R. J.: An improved technique of agar-gel electrophoresis on microscope slides, Clin, chem. Acta 4, 317–321 (1959).Google Scholar
- Zeman, W.: Zur Pathogenese der Strahlenspätschädigung des Rückenmarks, Sonderbände z. Strahlentherapie 62, 68–76 (1966).Google Scholar