Observations on the White Matter in Human Brain Edema
The ultrastructural pathological changes in brain edema demonstrate not only a dichotomy between gray and white matter but vary also according to the cause of edema. In the gray matter, the type of affected morphological structures and the development of the pathological changes are observed to be consistently of the same kind. Between the different forms of gray matter edema there are only differences in the results of the biochemical examinations (Aleu, et al.). In the white matter there are also differences in the pathomorphological changes: swelling of the astroglial cells, increase in extracellular space (PPD edema: Gonatas, et al.; extradural compression: Raimondi, et al.; Evans & Tani), or the primary occurrence of vacuoles and large clefts between the lamellae of myelin sheaths (triethyl tin poisoning: Terry, et al.). Tani and Evans also have observed changes in the oligodendroglial cells.
KeywordsWhite Matter Brain Edema Cerebral Edema Myelin Sheath Astroglial Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aleu, F. P., F. L. Edelman, R. Katzman, R. Katzman and R. D. Terry: Fine Structure and Electrolyte Analysis of Cerebral Edema Induced by Alkyltin Intoxication, Ibid., 22, 403–413 (1963).Google Scholar
- Bailey, P. and G. Schaltenbrand: Die muköse Degeneration der Oligodendroglia, Dtsch. Hufe. 231–237 (1927).Google Scholar
- Penfield, W. and W. Cone: Acute swelling of Oligodendroglia, a Specific Type of Neuroglial Change, A. M, A. Arch. Neurol., 16, 131–153 (1926).Google Scholar
- Tani, E. and J. P. Evans: Electron Microscope Studies of Cerebral Swelling. II. Alterations of Myelinated Fibers. Ibid., 4, 604–623 (1965).Google Scholar
- Tani, E. and J. P. Evans: Electron Microscope Studies of Cerebral Swelling. III. Alterations in the Neuroglia and the Blood Vessels of the White Matter. Ibid.. 624–639 (1965).Google Scholar
- Zülch, K. J.: Morphologische Befunde bei Hirnschwellung. Zbl. Neurochirurgie, 5, 166–175 (1940).Google Scholar
- Zülch, K. J.: Hirnödem und Hirnschwellung, Virch. Archiv., 310, 1–58 (1943)Google Scholar