An Argument Against the Principle of Minimal Alphabet
For many years the field of Genetic Algorithms (GAs) has been dominated by bit-string based GAs. The argument as to why bit-strings are the best method of encoding parameters in GA strings is known as the principle of minimal alphabet.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Quantitative Parameter Binary Search Average Fitness Qualitative Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caruana R.A. and Schaffer J.D., Representation and Hidden Bias: Gray vs. Binary Coding for Genetic Algorithms, Proc. Fifth International Conference on Machine Learning, 153 (1988).Google Scholar
- Davis L., Adapting Operator Probabilities in Genetic Algorithms, Proc. Third International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, 61 (1989).Google Scholar
- Gibson G.M., Application of Genetic Algorithms to Mixed Schedule and Parameter Optimisation for a Visual Interactive Modeller, Proc. Fifth Workshop on Neural Networks, 119 (1993a).Google Scholar
- Gibson G.M., A Genetic Algorithm for Optimising Problems with Embedded Design Decisions, Proc. 6th Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 99 (1993b).Google Scholar
- Goldberg D.E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimisation & Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, New York NY, (1989).Google Scholar
- Grefenstette J.J. and Baker J.E., How Genetic Algorithms Work: A Critical Look at Implicit Parallelism, Proc. Third International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, 20 (1989).Google Scholar
- Holland J.H., Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems, Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press, (1975).Google Scholar
- Holland J.H., Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems, MIT Press, (1993).Google Scholar
- Koza J.R. 1992, Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection, MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Levenick J.R., Inserting Introns Improves Genetic Algorithm Success Rate: Taking a Cue from Biology, Proc. Fourth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, 123 (1991).Google Scholar
- Wills C., The Wisdom of the Genes, Basic Books, New York, (1989).Google Scholar