The Concrete Arch Dam
The Plymouth Engineering Design Centre (PEDC) is one of the seven Science and Engineering Research Council funded Design Centres that have been established at various academic institutions within the UK. The initial aim of the PEDC is to carry out fundamental research into the application of adaptive search techniques to engineering design. The following paper describes the application of the adaptive search technique known as the Genetic Algorithm (GA) to the multi-variable problems associated with the design of a double curvature Concrete Arch Dam.
The evolutionary characteristics of the Algorithm and their relevance to the designer are briefly described and the main features of the Arch Dam design geometry are defined. The development of an interactive designer / GA design tool and problems concerning the integration of related design aspects are discussed.
The current status of the project is considered and further work at the Centre involving the application of the Genetic Algorithm to other engineering design domains is outlined.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Design Space Logarithmic Spiral Hydropower System Parameter String
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Holland, J. H. ‘Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems.’ Ann Arbor, The University of Michigan Press, ISBN 0-472-08460-7, 1975.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, D. E. ‘Genetic Algorithms in Optimization and Machine Learning’. Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., ISBN 0-201-15767-5, (1990).Google Scholar
- Dasgupta, D. and Mcgregor, D. R. ‘A Structured Genetic Algorithm’. Unversity of Strathclyde, 1991.Google Scholar
- Ghanat, Y. and Clough, R. W. ‘EADAP — Enhanced Arch Dam Analysis Program.’ University of California at Berkley, 1989.Google Scholar
- Serafim, J. L. and Clough, R. W. ‘Arch Dams — International Workshop on Arch Dams, Coimbra, 5–9 April, 1987.’ A. A. Balkema, ISBN 90-6191-8650, 1990.Google Scholar
- Parmee, I. C. ‘Pneumatic Hydropower Systems.’ PhD Thesis, Polytechnic South West, UK, 1990.Google Scholar
- Parmee, I. C. ‘The Operational Optimization of a Pneumatic, Low-head Hydropower System using Evolutionary Design Techniques.’ Proceedings of the Ises Solar World Congress, Denver, USA, 1991.Google Scholar
- Suckley, D. ‘Genetic Algorithm in the Design of FIR Filters.’ IEE Proceedings, Vol 138, No. 2, April, 1991.Google Scholar